1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Great Horned Owl Or Barred Owl For Nature Center

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by PATRICK E SNOW, Sep 5, 2019.


    PATRICK E SNOW New Member

    I am currently looking for a Barred owl or Great horned owl with papers or faux for quick shipment for a nature center in MI. Would anyone have one hanging around they would be willing to give away/sell?
  2. Sea Wolf

    Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

    Unless it was a fake one, no one can legally give you one, even as a gift, unless it is another educational institution. What you need to do, is have your organization apply for the paperwork to have one in your possession. Once you have the paperwork in hand, you can authorize any local taxidermist to do the mount for the nature center. The paperwork stays with the bird and it is immediately turned over to the center when done. With the paperwork in hand, the local Fish & Game/law enforcement folks or even wildlife rescue facilities in the area will give to the center any owl they come across. Make sure the paperwork specifies what species you need.
    George likes this.

  3. byrdman

    byrdman Well-Known Member

    taxidermist needs migratory permit.... and yes they can be donated from private citizens to museums/ nature centers as long as it was aquired legally pre-ban
  4. George

    George The older I get, the better I was.

    Not true. We've all accepted that as a premise but the "migratory" permit has nothing to do with raptors or eagles. WE accept that because no one can legally mount birds (other than upland species) without being in possession of that permit, but for hawks, owls, and eagles, there's actually no official certification necessary EXCEPT that piece of paperwork Sea Wolf spoke of.
    Wildthings likes this.
  5. byrdman

    byrdman Well-Known Member

    wrong George the usfw describes any bird covered under the migratory bird act as " migratory" including all birds besides upland birds so even if the museum has the permit, the taxidermist still needs the usfw migratory bird permit/ taxidermy... have been through this with many museums, nature centers, bear and wolf centers for all sorts of songbirds, hawks, owls. never an eagle though

    Attached Files:

  6. byrdman

    byrdman Well-Known Member

    mbta updated in 1972 to include hawks owls etc... so... not a "premise" but the definition set forth hy the usfw

    Attached Files:

  7. Dave York

    Dave York Well-Known Member

    And about 12
    Pages of paper work from USFW
  8. 13 point

    13 point Well-Known Member

    Never new , eagle ,owls and hawks migrated , they are a raptor . There BS laws are rediculuse
  9. byrdman

    byrdman Well-Known Member

    go up to Duluth Minnesota in the fall and you will see thousands as they funnel down to skirt lake superior flying south. there is even a place called "hawk ridge". And they have birdwatchers from all over the world come to see the hawk migration. And you can go to Redwing Mn later on to see the mass numbers of bald eagles that congregate by the open water for the winter.Bald eagles, being predominatlly fish eaters will migrate to open water areas when the northern lakes are froze up.Snowy owls too will migrate from the arctic to the upper parts of the lower 48 when snows are too deep and food is scarce