1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Migratory Paper Work ???

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Arrowheadman, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Arrowheadman

Arrowheadman New Member

Just got my federal permit and ordered the migratory record book system. wondering what eveyones paperwork process is with customers? does the yellow info card stays with duck mount after pickup or does it get filed ?

2. Rubberduc142

Rubberduc142 New Member

Hello! May I ask how to get my application approved? I am a wildlife rehabber, and I applied for a salvage permit to use salvaged bones in art, but was denied. How is art different than taxidermy I wonder?

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    We don't apply for a salvage permit, we apply for a permit to possess and mount migratory birds that customers provide that they themselves harvested under a license, any part of the bird not used in the mount must be returned to the customer or disposed of properly. Salvaging bones is entirely different. Using them for art, which will possibly be sold is illegal. No parts of wild migratory birds save for feathers can be sold or bartered.

4. Rubberduc142

Rubberduc142 New Member

Oh ok thank you for the info!! Can I keep the feathers and use them them?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm not entirely clear on that. If I'm not mistaken, they can only be used for pillows and insulation in coats. My advice would be to ask the US fish and wildlife, don't take my word for it. I don't enforce the laws.

Chippers and msestak like this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You are supposed to keep a log book. I don't. At the end of each year, I print out a list of ducks and their owners and save it...never been audited.

BrookeSFD16 and msestak like this.
  7. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I recommend keeping the log book. I have been checked.

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Joey does it right...." records must be kept per calender year"......

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  9. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

The tag is kept with the bird in the shop. After the client picks up the bird he can do anything he wants with the tag. My clients usually take it off in the shop and leave it so I staple it to my invoice and file it. It sounds like you ordered the record system from Breakthrough or one of the supply companies. That is all the record keeping you are required to maintain. Fill out the entries completely and keep the binder in the shop.