1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

12 Hours No Power(freezer)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by IAtaxi, Sep 10, 2019.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Bad storm yesterday. When does a guy need to start worrying about what’s in his deep freezers? Thanks.

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

The minute you put the first specimen into it...:rolleyes:

rogerswildlife, Glenn M and 13 point like this.

3. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

I would have worried for 16 years if that was the case. Just never been without power this long. Not really wanting to open them to check on things for a while yet, which is why I asked.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If you don’t open , 48 hours if it’s full and pack like a chest freezer , if it’s a stand up 30 at most . Again the more that’s in it the better off you are

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I'd be making a trip to buy a generator.

rogerswildlife and Glenn M like this.
  6. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Finally came back on after 17 hours. Everything is still in good shape. Thanks for reply 13 point.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Food items are way more critical than taxidermy. Edibles I would be concerned at 24 hours, taxidermy could be 48 hours depending on the location of the freezer. I have several on porches behind my shop. In 100 degree weather, 24 hours might be stretching it for them.

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Welcome. Been In that spot a few times , glad it worked out for ya

9. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

Had a freezer go out on me. I have 4 freezer for my wet tanned skins. Did not know the freezer was out for 2 plus weeks. The freezer had a built in alarm that did not work. All the skins were wet tanned. Lost some of the skins. Even on wet tanned skins they can still slip if they are wet for many days. I have a balies Insurance policy (insurance for other persons property) and they paid for everything that was not salvageable. Lost a LS mountain goat and some deer and elk capes. I even had a LS stone sheep and had some slippage adjacent to the hooves. I was able to locate some raw stone sheep feet that matched perfectly. I was very worried. Now every freezer is equipped with 2 battery operated alarms. Got a check from the insurance company for $5,000. Don't ever want that to occur again.