1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preserve Blood In Jar???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by josephmonson, Sep 11, 2019.

1. josephmonson

josephmonson New Member

A little strange but I wanted to know how if and how I could preserve blood from myself or an animal outside of a fridge. I want to display it in a mason jar, some I want to use for painting. I know some people mixed the blood with oil paints and then used a varnish to keep it good. This is the only place I could think of someone having an answer, google hasn't been a good help at all.
    vidmate mobdro word counter

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. vampire blood last for ever.

3. I don't have any answer.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

it's gonna clot, unless you take it directly from the vein. You will need some vacuum tubes to place it in until ready to use. It will keep a few days like this. Someone at a blood bank might give you some info on their storage procedures. I don't know if there is a stabilizer in their collection bags or not . I've donated gallons, but not to use as paint!

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Perhaps read up on Vincent Castiglia or Elito Villaflor Circa. Maybe try to contact both. I do not believe blood would mix with oil at all due to it being a water based compound. It can be used as a watercolor medium. As for displaying it .. probably not. Blood in a vial is in a vacuum. It also needs to be refrigerated and will eventually break down but you can contact a medical university and ask if there are preservatives that will work with blood. Regardless, because of the iron in blood, it will not stay red. It will eventually turn black due to oxidation.

13 point likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have stained self bows and antler panels with black cherries from my tree and also blood from the animal that the antlers came from. I used frozen blood though.

This section is getting increasingly weird and bizarre. Almost as weird as (and more bizarre than) I am.

7. barrysingh101

barrysingh101 New Member

Blood clots in a few minutes. Over several hrs it will layer out or separate. This could have been answered by any vampire who knows that blood out of the body and not mixed with anticoagulants will clot and not taste good. This is why they always hit the blood bank.