1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fin Coating

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Sep 12, 2019.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I got some fin coating from a supply co. and it seem just like white Elmer's glue with a different label on it. Has anyone used Elmer's glue for fins? I tried modge podge but it seems to dry more brittle that the stuff im currently using that I think is Elmer's

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Try a silicone base caulk instead.
    It’s flexible and paintable.
    If you don’t like it that thick from the tube just mix it with water.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use McKenzie fin flex, which is liquid latex, I believe

4. I have used Derma Grip Fin Glue and Silkspan in the past but the edges of the anal and dorsal fins on my crappie always end up a little too wavy. I have tried sealing first with 3 coats of lacquer but no help. Any suggestions?

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Re-card them
    It may not be seal good enough or the fins weren’t totally dry yet. The only way they move is moisture and then drying.
    This is another reason why I don’t use real fins .

rogerswildlife likes this.
  6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I quit using Derma Grip many years ago due to issues. It's actually the only fin coating I know of that recommends NOT sealing beforehand with a Lacquer sealer. Incompatibility issues. Cannot recall if it's right on the instructions or if somebody at the company told me this. I back my fins differently than most people. However, I use Tuf Fin on the spiny dorsals and it works ok. I flash coat a lacquer sealer first/dry and then put a couple of coats of Tuffin on. The first coat very thin and in front of a fan. Minimal wavy-ness. I agree with Frank. Most anything wet is going to rehydrate the fins somewhat.

7. I used Derma Grip and Silkspan a few years ago and had no problems at all. Beautifully straight fins. But since getting back into mounting fish and buying new Silkspan, I immediately noticed a different feeling in the Silkspan now available. Like I posted before, I have had trouble with the edges of my fins getting wavy. I dry my fish really well for several weeks and have even sealed my fins with several flash coats of lacquer before doing the fins with no change in results. I did do one mount with natural fins and only Derma Grip and no Silkspan and got perfect, beautifully straight fins! Still trying to figure it out but I strongly suspect this new Silkspan may be the issue.

8. You can use siliconized acrylic caulk use water to thin

9. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

s B
    Try the spray shellack
    Works great for me

10. I have tried 3 coats of spray lacquer starting with a flash coat. Would the spray shellac be a better choice?

11. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

Take a piece of 2" clear packing tape and apply it to the back side of the fin. Make sure it sticks tight to prevent leakage to the backside. Using Modge Podge if you have any splits or missing sections of fin apply a thick coat to those areas only and fill them up to where they are even with the rays. When dry apply one coat over the entire fin. Most of the time I just apply one coat to keep the fin looking realistic. Once that coat is dry trim the tape even with the edges of the fins just like you would your silkspan. Next remove the tape from the backside and apply a coat of Modge Podge. The Modge Podge will not stick to the tape and by cutting the tape before you remove it you'll eliminate the chances of tearing the edges of the fin. You'll never find any type of backing on any of my fins. You don't need it. Let me know if you try this and what you think.