1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Do You Charge For A Deer Head

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 13 point, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I found that some of my richest customers were the worst a picking up their mounts.

buckfever* and Ron B like this.
  2. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Richard, I thought a lot about going to $1000 this year. It really should be $1200 to $1500 for a deer. I guess I am the highest priced in the state. If I see where someone charges more than me I go up. Even though I don't want much work but I still get too much. People are beginning to send so much from out of state that my pricing is slanted towards them.

3. Nick Walker

Nick Walker New Member

580 South Ms, highest in my area that I’m aware of, most are between 300 and 475. I don’t charge more because I think I’m better than anyone else, I’ve just been the guy who charged 400 and at the end of the day I wasn’t happy and that was peanuts for the time I was putting in them. I know 580 is still peanuts to some but after expenses I’m happy with what I make off them for now especially in my area. If I get 1 a year or 100 a year I’m happy.

13 point and rogerswildlife like this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I will say this to get top dollar you must give and show them what they are getting, I mean full septum noses ,eye rotation with white banded eyes , with ears to match eye rotation nicitating membranes in your eye rotation, thin crisp ears with muscle detail in earbutts to match what the ear is doing . It’s all in the details and the things I’m mentioning doesn’t take much longer to do , then show the client the difference, I’m telling you I thought the same as some of you are stating but if you stick to it and put a great product out , you will get the clients I’m talking about . Goodluck to all . And again thanks for posting along on this thread

Codybwc, Richard C and rogerswildlife like this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Sounds like the hunters in my area. They complain about the price (even at $299.00) and then complain about the quality but they still go back to the same yo-yo's for another mount the next year.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Beyond what do you charge for a deer head, what I would like to know is; what is your hourly shop rate?

Codybwc and Ron B like this.
  7. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Hi 13 Point,
    Nice trophy deer you mounted there. Why the bulging lump on the left side of it's neck? It would look better if the ears were on full cock instead of half cock. And looking to the rear is confusing to the viewer, especially since the ears are not 'listening' to the rear also. Something to ponder.

8. 13 point

$75 an hour

9. 13 point

Joe that’s a 6900 series 26 inch neck from McKenzie and as I see what your saying in the picture, it is a optical illusion I assure you . And as for the ears that’s your opinion and I respect that greatly. But there not incorrect as it did take a 1st in the master division with no deductions in the ear area , but thank you for giving me advise I will take it and use it as I love to hear advise from people of your stature . Thanks again

rogerswildlife likes this.
  10. I cant help but grin when I read ( show them).
    several years ago I was doing just that with a couple of older gentlemen. With flashlight in hand, Shining that beam into the nostril . See I put in spetrums, nici. in the eyes.
    one fellow says and I Quote.
    "Thats nice, put I aint never gonna get out of my recliner to go look inside the nose ."
    His friend says.
    You couldn't find your dam flashlight anyways.

Thats when i knew had been wasting my time not with them but everbody. No one gave a rats ass about it.
    If its got eyes, hair its good ! a master peice. Because to them their antlers are the focal point, not what supplies I used, or skills.
    saddly thats the cold hard facts for the majority.
    Just for information arguments, The man wasn't just some dumb uneducted hillbilly.
    He was a Surgeon at a prominent Hospital.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    bucksnort10 and Audra like this.
  11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

LOL!

12. It is not an optical illusion it is an anatomy problem with the form. look at the form from the top the neck is broken or appears to be. Yes the sculptor screwed up.

Joe is Correct!

13. 13 point

Disagree 1000% , buy the form then then get back to me . It is a full rut form , it is equal and balanced in the neck area , you can call Dennis Bain and tell him if you like , but I doubt he will agree with you all .

This thread was to talk about prices we get and the differences of them in different parts of the States . The picture I posted is to show what my clients get for the price I charge. Not to be critiqued and busted on by anyone , you might say your busting on the form not the mount , but I put the deer on that form so it comes back to me , as I respect some opinions, that’s all they are , opinions and you know what they say about them .
    After reading of some of the statements on how people can’t get more money, I’m just giving the ways I was able to get the amount we all deserve for a mount not about me being any better then anyone else . If it came across the wrong way I apologize that’s not my intent . I know for a fact there is a whole lot better taxidermist better then me out there , I learne everyday from those people and reference to get better so I can charge more . Thanks for your input but again I disagree.

Wildthings and Richard C like this.
  14. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    My Wage

"I bargain life for a penny,
    And life would pay no more,
    However begged at evening
    When I counted my scanty store.

For life is just an employer,
    He gives you what you ask,
    But once you have set the wages,
    Why, you must bear the task.

I work for a menial's hire,
    Only to learn, dismay,
    That any wage I asked of life,
    Life would willingly paid."

Jessie B. Rittenhouse

13 point likes this.
  15. 450.00 southeast ohio

16. 13 point I know that mankin well, I personally dont like the bulge to the outside it has. But I know you didnt add it to it.
    You got to think the sculptor and supplier beleives its accurate or they wouldn't put their name on it.
    Those ears are fine!! btw. Dam deer never stop checking in ever direction no matter how their standind or looking. I got a pen full of them to watch and I do. I find his use of his dicription. (cocked) not to usefull in antomey description either.
    My previous post wasn't to knock you or any thing you do, nor an explanation of lower priced labor. Joey got it, it was a half ass funny that really happened. That extra mile we go is, Simply put its unappreciated by the majority.
    I wont lie at all, yea I use to do all the fancy gimmicks, key being USE TO. no more . Still got the same clients, still growing, charging more today than then, The only thing that changed was supply expenses, was reduced.
    Me im not knocking anyone that. goes that extra mile. I just know it isnt nessary for my folks coming in the door.
    I got all types from, celebrities, wealthy attorneys, doctors, and middle class scraping by customers , cant afford it to being with.
    Dosent seem to matter they all bitch about about the $$.
    Its the American way aint it ?

Dave Byrd, Wildthings and 13 point like this.
  17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

It's funny, you ask what do you charge for a deer head and you get lots of people offering their answers. Ask what the shop rate is and you get crickets.

18. 13 point

I answered so what are you asking or stating ? Post 33

Fallenscale and Wildthings like this.
  19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Yes, and you were the only one.

20. 13 point

I believe no one answered because it seemed your post was directed to me since it was my post . Now that you state It wasn’t , maybe they will start to answer.

So what is everyone’s shop rate ?