1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pickling Velvet

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mrtubbs, Sep 16, 2019.

1. mrtubbs

mrtubbs Member

I just got my first set of velvet antler in and was wondering about submerging the rack in a pickle bath. Has any one tried that. I mixed up a pickled last night and injected the velvet in as many places I could but I couldn't get much to go in so I submerged them. The velvet felt like it was already disconnected from the antler so I put a few holes in it so that the pickle could get into the velvet as well.

2. GP1419

GP1419 Member

Not sure about pickle but I know de-natured alcohol will work, there is a post on here a few days ago about it.

3. mrtubbs

mrtubbs Member

I saw that. I hope that I didn't screw it up. I'll take it out of my pickle tonight and put it in a de-natured alcohol solution.

4. You read that post on velvet, then decided to go with a pickle not knowing if it would work or not. Then post topic. asking if it will work. Then decided to go with DA only after told it works.
    Go to your room and, think about what you did, don't come out untill I say you can !!

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I have put velvet antlers in a Formic acid pickle and they turned out great .

6. mrtubbs

mrtubbs Member

I didn't read that post until after I posted my question.

Micah Howards likes this.