1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I'm Back!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Great Skulls, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

Hi All,

It's been a few years since I last posted on T.net - I was too obsessed and spent too much time on here. As some of you know/have figured out, I have been lurking a bit again and my students have been posting requests on behalf of the lab. But there have been too many conversations that I want to be part of, so I bit the bullet and re-registered (couldn't remember how to get into my old account)!

For those of you that don't know me, I'm a university professor, and I've been collecting skulls for more than 30 years. Currently our collection has over 600 specimens - mostly primates and carnivores - the lineages that we study.

I mostly get specimens from zoos and other similar facilities, but have been given many specimens by great colleagues on here as well.

Glad to be back. Hopefully it doesn't suck up too much of my life again!

Best,
    Adam

Gallifonte, Buff42 and msestak like this.
  2. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

P.S. If any of you have interesting primates or carnivorans in the freezer, we have several studies going on right now, and my students would really benefit from being able to collect data from them. We could return the bones - unharmed.

msestak likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Great to see you back. Still want to visit someday on my drives through State College. Ask Ken or one of the other moderators to find your log in and password for you??

4. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Adam is no longer at Penn State - went south quite a ways. A student prepping specimens inquired on the Taxidermy.net in July of methods used to whiten specimens that I replied to. I haven't posted near as much as the old days - just too much to do these days.

5. Nice to see you are still around Adam, and still busy publishing (7 so far this year?).

6. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

Yes, I am now at NC State - sheesh, I suppose it's my third university since grad school, but this job is great, so I think it will stick! Anyone who wants to visit is welcome!

And yes, we are publishing a TON! I think we submitted 11 papers for review this past summer, so we have a bunch coming out. The most exciting piece that you guys might dig is that we discovered a really cool piece of anatomy in a really weird animal. I'll post more when our media people give me the green light.

Gallifonte likes this.
  7. Sea Wolf

Is it an anatomy anomaly?

8. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

Not a pathological specimen but a cool, unexpected, piece of anatomical adaptation that we found, for the first time, in a primate. Neat.

9. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

Hi All,

The paper that I alluded to came out today. If you are curious...

Here's a small bit that NC State put out with a cool video produced by one of my colleagues:
    https://news.ncsu.edu/2019/10/aye-aye-extra-finger/

And below are the pieces from the New York Times, Wired, National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine and the Washington Post. I've seen one piece in Italian media too. If you see any other good ones, please let me know.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/science/aye-aye-lemur-pseudo-thumb.html

https://www.wired.com/story/aye-aye-pseudothumb/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/10/aye-aye-fingers-strange-sixth-digit-discovered/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...-giving-these-primates-six-fingers-180973379/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...-only-known-primates-with-six-fingered-hands/

socalmountainman likes this.
  10. Bandy Ford

Bandy Ford New Member

Do u happen to have any black bear skulls ? I am looking for 2

11. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Do a search in the for sale section. Usually there are a couple on there.

12. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Wow! Truly amazing! Thanks for sharing Adam!

13. Very cool. What a scientific discovery!

14. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

It was a pretty neat thing to stumble upon!

15. Sea Wolf

Search in the Sale section as well as make your own post looking for one in the Wanted section.

16. Sea Wolf

Adam, that really is a damned oddity, like the panda. People have handled these critters in captivity for quite a while now. Amazing that no one ever noticed before. Kudos to you and Mr. Dickinson for pursuing the weird.

17. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

1B642927-FB8C-42B5-9087-4C0C4D5A7D2A.png 15B419CF-AB8B-494A-9CFD-31B0DF0CD597.png 1E2D678E-FBAE-46C1-A0A9-3FB1F4C98A75.jpeg Great Skulls, I have a question. I live in MD and we have the Japanese Sika here in our marshes , I have a complete skeleton and want to rebuild it , I believe it is reticulate it . What is the best way or reference to wire and reassemble , I have the pics of all the joints and connections but don’t know how to make it strong enough as I want to show it in motion, like running or bugling. Thanks

Here’s a pic of a couple, 100lbs is a big one , the one I have cleaned is bout 85 lbs live weight

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Adam, that's some pretty heady stuff there. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  19. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

That is a LOT of work. There are many better people on here than me to give you advice. I've assembled a few skeletons, but am still a novice at it. Post a new thread and many people will help you!

20. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

Yeah. Nuts! They are weird animals!