1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help With A Crappie Form

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Sep 19, 2019.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Not fair Cecil...your stringer is longer than my stringer! LOL! Looks awesome!

2. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I tried the fish fill once but the fill got hard before I was able to start sewing the back looked like junk, the next one took weeks to harden. I decided to just hand carve the bodies. The fill mix just didn't seem to be my bag.. Plus I like the idea now there then sewing I glue and staple skin in place, after the fish dries I remove some of the staples and finish off the back with bondo and magic smooth, to recreate a scale on the back side. as some people always look behind the fish.
    One person said "people don't look behind a painting?" But a painting is not a 3-D project.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

:p Why thank you!

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

First of all just slopping in fish filler is not even close to doing the half cast method. It's bush league at best. With the half cast method, you're placing the skinned fish into the mold you made out of plaster, to get the original anatomy back. You actually need to overfill the fish and push the excess out of the seam.

Second of all, there is no need to sew up the back seam using the half cast method. The back seam sticks to the filler. In fact the entire skin does.

I'm presently using a 50/50 mix of Matuska's and Tom Sexton's.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 10:54 AM