1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Form Carving Advice

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Sep 19, 2019.

1. I'm thinking about trying my hand at carving a large crappie form but don't know much about the materials or process just yet. Are there any good reference materials that anybody can suggest?

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    For a crash course go on you tube. Search carving a fish form. I think there was a guy named Rick Robson had a channel that did a bass.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I suggested the matuska facebook video on your other post, check it out.

4. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

carve the form before you skin the fish out. All the reference and measurements are there in front of you. Calipers and flexible tape measures don't lie.

Cory and Ron Kelly like this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I would be careful on taking measurements off a crappie.
    Every one I do I have to subtract an 1/8 or more from it.
    Their scales are much thicker plus the way the fins lay on the body can throw your measurements off real easy.
    So when carving just remember you’ll be taking anywhere from a 1/8-1/4 inch.
    Don’t try and stretch the skin over a body for scales will pop or lift on you.
    Work very slowly and do in sections on skinning them. One wrong look and pop goes a scale and any rough handling will loose them also.
    I like to remove the fins to give me better access to skinning. Plus I also cast fins .
    Work from tail to head. If at anytime you choose to go from head to tail YOUR GOING YO POP SCALES.
    Some folks dry the skin first on a fan, paint Elmer glue on the fish, dry it and then skin. The glue comes off at the wash later.

Glenn M, JL and 3bears like this.
  6. Thanks Frank

7. Great advice Frank,also I like to skin them when there still half frozen .

JL and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why crappie are so hard to skin out. I take the carcass out in three sections and then peel and scrape the rest.

JL likes this.
  9. hambone

hambone Member

I never had much trouble with them but I live in
    Michigan where we typically catch them just after ice out when they spawn and the weather is cold, the big southern ones might be in too much warm temps that helps with scale loss. no telling how long they lay around in the heat after being caught.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

crappie are best freeze dried