1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stuffing Fish With Wet Sand

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pikeonthefly, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

I was watching a You Tube video and this guy was working on a Walleye. During his instruction he mentioned that back in the day he would skin a fish/sew the incision and then fill it with wet sand. I would assume once it was dry he would empty the sand and then fill it with fish fill or something. To me if it was packed tight it seems like it would retain its shape. Just wondering if anyone ever tried this and how did it work out?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lol that’s so old school and it’s ancient.
    That method produces a very low quality mount!
    This is why we say 90% of all u tube videos on taxidermy suck and are misleading!

JL and msestak like this.

3. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Oh that brings back memories. I tried that method about 45yrs ago. After drying the fish I cut a hole and dumped the sand back out. Then I poured catalyzed bondo inside and sloshed it around to reinforce the skin. I guess you could say it worked but that was my one and only try. It didn't look any worse than the old "sock" method that Rineharts school taught hundreds of students. Now that was a goofy method.

msestak likes this.
  4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    gotta be careful doing what they show you on u tube. save on D cell batteries

Cecil and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  5. Lol that's how I learned with the sock method,if you weren't good at sewing you were screwed

Cecil, msestak and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  6. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

do you remember there stacked cardboard method?

msestak likes this.
  7. I rember they taught eyebrows on fish,lol.

msestak likes this.