1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small Bird Fleshing Completely Impossible?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by AksarBhai, Sep 21, 2019.

1. AksarBhai

AksarBhai New Member

Hi, Beginner person here. I've struggled with the fleshing of small birds. I've only done a couple of birds before and I'm so confused over how to get rid of the fat in the feather tracts without ripping it completely apart.

I'm working on a fieldfare right now and the skin is soo thin, how do you go about it without destroying webhotelli it? I can see my fingers through the skin, is seems impossible, or maybe I'm going too far? I can't imagine it holding together after a wash..

I've tried using potato flour, a butter knife and a slow pace but I still rip it. I just wonder how much is necessary to get rid of. Pictures would be great.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Many bird skins are very fragile and hard to work on, Doves being one of them also, although I have never tried them. I know nothing about the bird you are working on but what caught my attention was your use of a butter knife which could be a problem. A small curved scissors used very carefully with light finger pressure on the feather side along with a lot of practice may help. If you can get borax it may also make fleshing easier.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You are trying to over-flesh. You don't have to have them squeaky clean on the inside. Most small birds don't have enough fat to affect the mount.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

You can also try putting it in the freezer for a bit after skinning. Take it out and as soon as it's pliable work on it. Usually just some potato flour and your fingernail will work.