1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Snake Preperation And Tanning

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Rgvmelb, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

I've got my hands on a snake and l want to mount it. I've never skun one so l was wondering if I could get a quick run down on what to do etc please.
    I'm assuming a belly cut and someone has suggested to skin the head back as best l can and inject the rest.
    If l can successfully skin it, do l just salt it like a mamal? And what is the tanning process too? I'm quite competent tanning deer, but l haven't dealt with any reptiles at all.

Thanks.

2. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

It depends on what kind of snake and size. Some can take a tan while others seem to fall apart. Anything you leave in the head is going to cause trouble one way or another so molding and casting may be a better option. Kerby Ross has a couple tutorials on here you may want to ck out.

3. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

Thanks jrandall, l've been flat out searching on here and youtube and l can't find anything useful. Kerby Ross comes up a lot, but just in passing. Nothing that's of any help unfortunately.

4. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

What kind of snake and what are you currently tanning deer with?

5. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

The snake is a carpet/jungle python.
    I'm using formic/citric acid for the pickle and alum or lutan F for the tanning.

6. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

Yeah that's a smooth scaled one! May be able to use a brush on treatment (like Rittels) to keep from having lots of scale loss ( I thought I've seen where Kerby used something like 50/50 glycerin and denatured alcohol). I know some rattlesnakes will take Lutan well ,while others not so much. If you put Kerby's name in post heading he will probably see it and answer.

swampfox2 likes this.
  7. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

I had a friend once that made snake skin belts, hat bands, and wallets. I have seen them skinned and air drying on his clothes line, as well as soaking in a glass jar of glycerin / denatured alcohol mixed at a 50/50 ratio. He made some very good looking/durable products with them. 50/50 denatured alcohol and glycerin was all he used. He moved from south Georgia to Arizona in the mid 90's. He was there a week after moving putting up a fence when he suffered a fatal massive heart attack. R.I.P Jim.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you are going to have the snake's head raised, as in a striking pose, do not skin the 1/3 of the snake from the head back. It will be impossible to hide the seam. I start at the lipline, and skin the head back to the cervical vertabrae, the sever it off. Then, cut from the vent forward to the stopping point about 2/3 of the way up, as mentioned. Sever the carcass loose at the vent, then loosen the skin froward. Tube out the area from the head back to your incision. Skin from the vent back. Most of this can be tube skinned. 1:1 Denatured alcohol:glycerin in a good preservative.

9. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I've been watching Tom Voyers dvd on mounting a python with the fill method and he mentions pickling and then tanning with a rittels product, (assuming ez100). He says its in one of his other dvd's so i'm going to have to find out which one that is - lol. I got this dvd at kastaway kulis video library, if that helps.