1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet After Deer Sat In Heat

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by StonewallSkullWorks, Sep 24, 2019.

1. StonewallSkullWorks

StonewallSkullWorks New Member

Have a customer that brought in a velvet buck, he shot it and it and did not find it until the following evening. He has it frozen but there is still a smell and had maggots on it, some of the velvet was already falling off. If I use velvet tan on them can the velvet be saved or is it like hair and once it starts to slip its too late? He is aware that there is no guarantee that I will be able to save the velvet but wants me to try, Im just wondering what my chances are of saving it and if there is a better way than the antler tan besides freeze drying, I know he wont want to pay for freeze drying

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Get a big enough tub for it to fit in and try submerging it in denatured alcohol , For a week or two , to save a little and get more volume fill the empty bottles back up with water and put in alcohol bath with rack , just make sure there are no paper labels on bottles that they will bleed into bath , your only doing this to get more volume for your buck lol C what I did there lol

Lance.G likes this.

3. Velvalok

Velvalok New Member

You should have tried our velvalok!! It works wonders for that kind of stuff!!

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ditto the alcohol. In addition to the soaking, get a hypodermic and inject alcohol all over them. Everywhere you can reach with the needle. Let it soak and when you pull the antlers let them hang to drip until dry. You also need to remove the antlers from the skull and reattach them after the skull is cleaned. You can't clean the skull with the velvet antlers on them.

Micah Howards and joeym like this.
  5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Under the circumstances described I would recommend the previously suggested technique of submerging completely in denatured alcohol, for at least two weeks and then hand to dry. I think it would be your best bet at saving the velvet. Good luck!

6. StonewallSkullWorks

StonewallSkullWorks New Member

Thanks for the responses, most came after I had already preserved the velvet. The bone was completely solid so I could not inject. I kind of did my own combo method, I dont know if it was a good idea or if it helped but it seemed to work. I brushed on the velvet tan in the morning and then in the evening I had a spray bottle of denatured and I sprayed them with that to where it was dripping off, I repeated this process for five days and then let them dry. That was almost two months ago and so far so good