1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artists For Conservation? Not Us Taxidermists.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Kish, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    Here's something you'll never see at a Taxidermy convention.

595d7ae8-634d-4903-93fe-55dc3fd9ded0.jpg

2. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

I will take the bait Joe,has anyone tried ?? good question joe

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

when was the last time you bought a hunting license Joe?

4. Joe Kish

Texas
    Firstly, here's what Artists For Conservation is and does - from their website literature:

AFC’s "Art for Conservation" program provides an online venue for the sale of artwork with a portion of the proceeds voluntarily earmarked by the artists to support a conservation organization of their choice. Each artist’s commitment is contingent on the sale of their work. The current pledge amount is estimated in the millions of dollars.

They sell their paintings, sculptures, etc. online and dedicate a percentage of the sale to a conservation organization. This yearly event is an art show where many artists bring their work for sale and customers browse and buy whatever. The AFC raises hard dollars that actually goes to real conservation clubs and associations. Never has a taxidermy convention dedicated a program of any kind to wildlife conservation. In fact I don't know of a single club that even has so much as a conservation committee. For instance where the NTA bylaws mission statement reads - "...and to promote wildlife conservation." those are just empty words. To me it's like how democrats talk. Saying it is the same as doing it.

As for the last time I bought a hunting license, I don't get the point or the relevance of the question.

Skywalker likes this.
  5. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Joe has anyone ever approached the Artists for conservation committee ? the taxidermy industry maybe able to work in with them and help out. just a though :)

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I highly doubt they'd want their name associated with taxidermists. JMO...

7. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

8. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

If it wasn't for taxidermists no one would be able to see some of the extinct species we have lost, but i guess it's different then when the public need you.

9. Joe Kish

Texas
    Mick,
    I understand part one of your response here, but I've no clue what you mean about the public.
    I hope you taxidermist guys down under there make a better showing in matters of wildlife conservation than we all on this continent.

AZ~Rich likes this.
  10. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Joe taxidermy isn't very big in Australia,only a small percentage of hunters will have there trophy's mounted and iv'e coped a bit negative feedback when people have found out by a friend what do as a hobby,so this was my point about the general public,over here unfortunately not everyone is open to the idea of preserving there pests or trophy's
    it's the same when people find out you have a hunting license ,some people are shocked and they don't understand why you do it.
    It's slowly changing though with a couple tv shows now and hunting membership on the rise , but we are decades behind you guys.

11. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Because there's more money raised by the purchase of hunting license and equipment than any other means. So i'll ask again whens the last time you contributed to conservation out of your pocket?

12. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I was a charter member and belonged until just last year with my sculptures. It is a juried application to be a member. Its expensive to be a member. 200 plus a year. It is based out of Canada where their main annual show is held. My name may still come up on their site. It was great for me at first and I had some sales through it but now the membership is so large it became hard to stand out or even be found. A lot of the artists that I interacted with anyway listed were very liberal and/or anti hunting.