1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Light Colored Larvae.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BC Boy68, Sep 26, 2019.

1. BC Boy68

BC Boy68 New Member

Is there anyone inside, and I’m sure there is, that can tell me how light colored does a dermestid larvae get. I have the odd one crawling around in my new enclosure that are very very light colored, not quite white. They do resemble the dermestid larvae so I’m hoping they are not maggots? I have had in the last four days maybe three flies come out of my container, thinking they might have gotten in while I was trying to get things up and running to optimal conditions, but I’ve been watching it diligently. I have had this colony for about a week and a half and they are doing pretty good. I’ve taken three of the light colored ones and gotten rid of them just in case. This is my first colony, hence the question. I appreciate anyone’s input thank you.

2. PA

PA Well-Known Member

They are probably molting larvae. The larvae go through 7 instars or steps in development and in each they shed an outside shell. For a while they appear white. Same with very newly transformed pupae - adults start almost white with a thin shell and then become brow until they reach the normal color (assuming you have Dermestes maculatus

3. BC Boy68

BC Boy68 New Member

Thank you for that clarification PA... that’s kind of what I was figuring, but I’m still in the early stages so freaking out if anything goes wrong. I won’t slaughter anymore. I saw a couple of flies and a couple of white larvae and you know the rest of the story:)
    Really appreciate these forums and the expert knowledge from so many of you whether it be on taxidermy or bugs... wish we had this technology years ago...[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Pictures tell a lot. Probably as PA said. When they shed the old skin they are very light and then darken. Fly maggots look like .. maggots. They don't have the bristly hairs that dermestid larva do. One fly can lay a few hundred eggs .. soo .. flies are bad Mmmkay? :)