1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discoloring

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Taxidermistchristie, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Taxidermistchristie

Taxidermistchristie New Member

Can anyone tell me why a wet tanned hide would turn super light almost white after drying

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It’s supposed to be , when I tan my capes I’m looking for that bright white color , then I know it’s done right . Color usually comes from tumbling it or adding color in the tanning cream

3. Taxidermistchristie

I’m sorry I should’ve specified the hair turns white after it’s mounted and dries. But only on some

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Oh chit , yea sorry can’t answer that one , never had that happen, I’ve thought of every situation and the only thing I can think of is if you were drying them in the sun , and I dought that . Are you tanning them or sending them out , if you’re doing them , what picking agent are you using ?

5. Taxidermistchristie

Yes I’m sending them off it seems that the few that have done it were velvet

6. GP1419

GP1419 Member

If you send them out the tannery might be tumbling them in soda ash, this will leave a white powdery look after it dries, use a air compressor or leaf blower to blow them out, Barrett's fur dressing use to do that and I had to blow all of mine out, it only takes a couple minutes, you will know it if that is what it is because of the dust that comes out.

7. Taxidermistchristie

Ok I’ll try that! Thank you sooo much!!!