1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trout Skin Problem

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1tahr, Oct 2, 2019.

1. 1tahr

1tahr Member

Hi all . Ive just mounted a large brown trout its the second day of drying and on the back of the mount the skin is opening up exposing lots of little depressions , ive seen this before only on large browns , does anybody know whats causing it , and how I can prevent it in future thanks .

2. 1tahr

1tahr Member

heres a pic of the skin . wondering if I can fill the pores once dry ?

Attached Files:

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm no expert with the cold water side and it's hard to see in the photo. But I have seen my fair share of what you're describing. And have had a few replicas with these divots. I believe it's normal for this to happen with some Fall run trout maybe? I've only seen it on males btw. Might just be a coincidence though. I think they kind've are absorbing their scales??? Somebody will chime in here with more experience, but I would leave it alone. It actually looks fine once painted...

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Roflmao
    Ok you have a brown trout in its spawning stage.
    What’s going on here is during this time the body swells up with fat and the scales get engulfed.
    So all those pockets are scales but because of the fat it now shrinks so much that you get gaping holes.
    For you in this situation, I’ll fill them with epoxy and recreate a proper scale pocket.
    To slow down this process you can mount it and place in the freezer for a few months to freeze dry the skin, or let it dry in the fridge for a week or two to aid in a slow drying process.
    It’s hard to stop this using regular drying methods. You have change your process on these puppies.
    Ps I love spawning fish lol

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Good explanation Frank! Ahhh, I wasn't too far off! The only trout and salmon I caught growing up were on Lake Michigan so nothing like this was ever seen til I got into this business many years later. I personally wouldn't bother with filling them though on a commercial mount. Like I said I've seen this on (one of Dave's/Envision 3D's blanks). Once painted those divots actually trick the eye and really aren't very noticeable. Kind've like divots on a golf ball. And similar to painting in missing scales. Not noticeable unless you get right up on it. Since they're really not unnatural, I leave them.

JL and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  6. Great info guys!!!!!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. 1tahr

1tahr Member

hey thanks Guys , its a relief to know its not my fault, ill have a look once dry but im thinking some kind of filler will be needed prior to painting , thanks again

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've done hundreds like this over the years and I agree with Frank on what causes them. I just mount them as usual and I bet $$$$$ your customer will never notice them unless you open your mouth.If he does, tell him to call Frank.
    Good luck, JL

9. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Frank

Thank you, you answered a question I never could find the answer to before.

1 tahr

Thank you for asking .

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

ROFLMAO