1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Completion Time

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Sam 10November1775, Oct 5, 2019.

1. What is the average time you spend on a strutting turkey? Has anyone purchased that turkey mounting course from Taxidermy Insider and what did you think of it?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I purchased it and it was really good info for a commercial bird.

I also have turkey DVDs standing and flying by Danny Owens, strut turkey by Harry Whitehead and one by Frank Newmyer. Andy Campbell and Tim Jorden have strut DVDs also.

I'm not sure how long it takes me because I break it up into many steps over a week or month. I don't do lifesize turkeys professionally, just for myself.

Sam 10November1775 likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

12 hrs from skinning to injections on head for freeze drying, to fleshing, washing, drying, mounting, preening and finally touch up.

joeym likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I'm with Frank. The seminar experts will tell you they mount 2-3 birds a day...bologney! I spend 2 hours skinning and prepping the bird for freezing, 6 hours making a perch, setting up the body, fleshing and washing and painting the head I get everything ready and in place so first thing the next morning, I'm fresh and ready to assemble. 2 hours to mount the bird, and who knows how many hours grooming and suffering over it the next few days. I think 12 hours is a conservative number. True, you can expedite the process over time and with multiple birds, but I still don't believe anyone can "start to finish" in less than 8 hours.

5. I was just asking because some joker told me he could do a turkey start to finish in 4 hours. I thought, "Bullshit Jack!" He didn't have any photos to see what that bird looked like (I am curious). I am inexperienced but it takes me 4 -5 hours for a pheasant and that doesn't include the final painting.

6. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I'm with Frank ! It takes 12 to 15 hours for me . I've seen national and world championships do seminars and struggle with them just like you and I. No one has a magic wand when it comes to any taxidermy especially with Turkey. I'd love to see what that 4 hour Turkey mount looked like lol.
    Tommy

7. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    At least 12 for me. Fastest I've seen is Tommy Knight, but not even sure how fast he is.

8. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    I couldnt do a ugly ass Turkey in 4 hrs.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would say that I probably have 12 to 15 hrs. I don't remember ever timing myself because I never planned on doing them for customers.

One thing I notice when viewing taxidermists work, is that a lot of them produce top notch ducks, pheasants, deer heads and such, but their cats, canines, and turkeys are hideous. if you go to bird taxidermists web pages, great turkey taxidermy is fairly rare.

rogerswildlife and joeym like this.
  10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'd say it depends. Like most things, some go together nice and easy and others fight me no matter what I try. For the average strutter I have at least 12 to 15 hours and others more than that.

11. If I add every little step together 20hrs I guess I'm slow but I do 3-6 a year and they hold up good and look nice spend the time you need get the money you need and the return business

Sam 10November1775 and pir^2h like this.
  12. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

Its good that a fellow Marine can spot Bull Shit. For a customer bird from start to finish it take around 16 to 20 hours. Competition piece it will take me around 50 to 60 hours.
    Semper Fi. GySgt Pinocci