1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Bear Head Alteration

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by vagrayfox, Oct 8, 2019.

1. vagrayfox

vagrayfox New Member

I have a almost 500 lb bear bear to mount. The head was massive. Real wide. I’ve never had to widen a head on a form and was wondering what the best way to go about it is? Do I cut the head in half behind the eyes and then split the back half of the head and wedge or what should I do? Thanks in advance for any advice

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do you have the skull? It likely isn't just the back of the head that needs widening. Did you take good measurements from the skull with the meat on? First I would look for a change out head that better fits the skin. If I couldn't find one I then would make a vertical cut from the back of the head to just about the nose and wedge it open to fit my measurements then it will probably need to be done horizontally as well. Pay attention to eye angle when you do these.

Skywalker likes this.

3. Robert Wise

Robert Wise Member

Ditto........ AGREE!

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yea I would cut the nose of form off bout 2 inches , then split head dead down the center and open as needed , then if needed cut off just in front of eye/tearduct to get my eyes to nose measurement correct and then just behind eyes to get my total skull measurements correct. Then glue replacement nose on and build out as needed with epoxy sculpt. I save foam pcs just for this kinda thing , u can take small pcs or little blocks of foam and glue ( with 5 min epoxy) in place as you put the cut up head back together from splitting it open , then once you have it all back together with the little block glued in place you can test fit it , even tho it has big gaps it’s pretty strong , then make adjustments accordingly , if good take duct tape on seams and pour foam to lock together and sand for final finish. Hope you understand what I’m explaining, and it helps

5. vagrayfox

vagrayfox New Member

One more question why does it seem like most commercial bear forms are in the walking uphill position?. Does it seem to make them look bigger? I’m planning on altering one to be walking downhill