1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair Will Not Lay Flat

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Sam 10November1775, Oct 10, 2019.

1. I am sure someone has encountered this. I can't seem to get the hair to lay flat on this whitetail deer body. Any suggestions? I am also very cautious IMG_2312.JPG about brushing it too much. I have encountered some hair slippage on the body of this guy.

2. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I have had that happen a few times. Wish I had an answer. I thought maybe it was chemicals in the krowtan but don't know.

3. I used EZ-100. Never had that problem before so it has me puzzled.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It has been suggested here before that it could be caused by the pickle or neutralization process. A lot of suggestion have been offered and I don't remember a conclusion being drawn.

When this has happened to me, I used my Pro-1 hide paste to get it to lay down. When dry I brushed it out and it worked somewhat better than anything else I have tried.

Micah Howards likes this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I remember a seminar I attended at Jim Allred Supply a couple years back that oldshaver was giving and he mentioned something about if the pH was too low it could cause the hair to curl (or something like that!. I don't really remember all the details so maybe that could have something to do with it?

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

That was one of the suggestions I remember reading on here. Possibly from Aubry (oldshaver).

7. In the past I have encountered this problem also. My remedy has been to wet the hair down with a spray bottle full of water with a tbsp of salt. Wet it good brush it down and spray hair spray on it. I let it dry until I do my finish work on it and brush out the hair. Easy peasy. This method has always worked for me. If you are having problems with slippage be very careful with initial brushing but after it dries out the hair will be locked in.

8. Thanks for that suggestion Crittercountry. I will try it, at this point what do I have to lose anyways?

9. Taxidermistchristie

Taxidermistchristie New Member

I use show groom in Jim Allred book. Works amazing

10. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I use Cape Set. Then staple it down with plastic mess that I cut into small pieces. The next day its dry and brushed out clean.
    I have also used it on turkey tail fans to get the feathers straight and pretty again that are best up real bad.

11. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I use Cape Set. Then staple it down with plastic mess that I cut into small pieces. The next day its dry and brushed out clean.
    I have also used it on turkey tail fans to get the feathers straight and pretty again that are best up real bad.

12. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Sorry didnt mean to double post.

13. Most likely that lifted hair was on the verge of slipping and would have been real easy to pull out while it was still damp. Now it is dry I don't think you can do much with it. The deer was either near spoiled or it was tanned improperly.

14. Or it could just be the animal itself ,I had a whitetail cape that had hair patterns going all kinds of way never would lay down,also check for small wrinkles in skin.

15. Thanks for all the suggestions people. I am not saying the problem was not with the tanning process. It is possible that is what was responsible for the slippage. I have been using EZ-100 for a couple years and the only slippage I have had was fox ears up to now. I will probably never know what caused it. It was my deer anyways so it isn't like I would have to replace the hide. And I have the skin adjusted so that no bald spots show so I will leave it at that.

I looked though the Allred catalog I have but didn't see this product. Could it be listed under another name or do you have the page number it is on?

Sam

Taxidermistchristie likes this.
  16. Taxidermistchristie

I
    Im so sorry it’s van dykes. Page 606 of new book

17. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Couple of things going on here .
    One is poor grooming. That’s issue one.
    You other issue could be from what we call acid swirl.
    Now what and why does this happen?
    There’s no definitive answer but educated guesses. Some say pickle to low. I say well if that’s the reason then all the capes would be this way , but there not. So the other concussion and from my experience is a cape that had a high bacterial growth on it and was very close to slippage. These are the only capes I’ve seen it happen on. This is only my personal thoughts as even the chemists can’t really find an answer.

kjdouble and Sam 10November1775 like this.
  18. Thanks for your insights Frank. I know the grooming isn't great but I can't brush or comb too hard or more hair will fall out. I would rather have a rough looking deer than a bald one! I can live with it as it is, after all it is just mine anyways. I am just trying to find answers. I do appreciate all answers here. It has given me some ideas.

Sam

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  19. No problem! I have a Van Dyke catalog also laying around here someplace. Thanks!

Taxidermistchristie likes this.
  20. Taxidermistchristie

Your so welcome! It works really good

swampfox2 likes this.