1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Aquarium Heaters - Degreasing - Lets Talk

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by jimmy s., Oct 11, 2019.

1. I have been doing skulls for years. I used to have a large inventory of Aqueon and tetra heaters that I could easily get to 115 ish. From memory they modified the Tetras a few years back and they wont do that anymore. Every now and again I can still find an old style Aqueon but they are getting harder and harder to find. The newer black style Aqueon will not adjust will they? Any other heaters out there that can be modified that I dont know about? Other solutions? Seawolf???? Thanks!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have heard that the "old" trick isn't working with the newer builds. I haven't tested any others yet. If all else fails, I also use a $50 bucket heater wired to a thermostat. Someone posted about a new type of blanket bucket heater that I am tempted to try and the cost was a lot better than what I had seen before. It is external around the outside of the container so there are no issues with rust or water getting into parts and corroding things. They also come in larger (and more expensive) sizes. If I do try one of these blanket types I would still use a small circulating pump in the solution to prevent hot spots and get a more accurate temp reading. Also insulation around the outside to save on energy.

3. I came across 6 new 300 watt Aqueons on the old style last week and bought those. I spoke with the guy about the bucket heater and was curious to know if it would work on a tote by attaching to the outside. It will be a whole lot more than 5 gallons so Im not sure it would work.

4. Sea Wolf

If you search for them, I think they are referred to as "barrel heaters", they actually come in different lengths. Rather than a tote, maybe shoot for something round? Even a cast off plastic barrel cut down to size or a big, Rubbermaid trash can? I think the stock watering tanks are made of a material that is too thick to work with a wrap around heater like that.

5. Yea I may have to just that. I got 3 ginormous gator heads that Im working on at the moment and they are darn near 30 " long. The vertical barrel would take a whole heap of water but that may be my only option with trying to heat externally for ammonia.

6. Sea Wolf

With that length, you want something they can lay flat in. I wouldn't try to stand them on end. Do you have the 3D page for re assembling loose parts of those skulls?

7. Thats why I always use the rubber made totes and insulate them. I zip tie all of mine to the point they cant come apart. If a piece or 2 still detaches they go right back together while they are wet. Ive played that puzzle piece game several years back. NEVER AGAIN...LOL