1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy Vs. Weather

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Rachelw, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Rachelw

Rachelw New Member

Hello all,
    I just recently moved to eastern Texas (where humidity is pretty heavy year round). My elk mount does not fit in my home, so I’ve built myself a she-shed for all of my taxidermy. I have insulated and tried to manage temperature with a small heater / window ac unit. On hot summer days, the shed still gets to about 80 degrees. And on cold nights it’s been difficult to keep warm. I have big game mounts, as well as bird mounts. My question is will my taxidermy suffer because of the range of temperature? What are some ways you suggest I keep it all safe? Thank you for any answers! :)

Fallenscale likes this.
  2. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

Probably be a good idea to get a good dehumidifier also. I am in south Georgia and the humidity is high here as well.

Rachelw likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Put a heat pump in there , that will pull humidity and keep a constant temp , hot or cold . Set it and forget it lol .

Rachelw likes this.
  4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

It sounds as though you are at least controlling the big temperature fluctuations. And, the AC unit acts as a dehumidifier - whether or not that's enough in a small shed is your call. You can buy one of those little humidity testers online to accurately gauge the humidity. I would think some type of air movement (fan) would help in controlling mold as well when the heater or AC isn't going an oscillating fan may not be a bad idea. And does your shed have some type of ventilation to the outside as well? Also, be conscious of direct sunlight. UV rays can fade mounts quickly. Lastly, make sure there's no places rodents can get in and check it regularly for signs that animals might be trying to get in.

Rachelw likes this.
  5. Reminds me off my stress test room how many customers do you have that put there mounts in a hunt cabin or basement I used to test mine with exsteam temp swings you can really learn about potential problems with drumming manikin prep etc

Rachelw likes this.
  6. Rachelw

Rachelw New Member

Thank you so much! Rodents can’t get in, and if they do, I have poison tablets placed out. I’ll get a humidity gauge :)
    There is a vent in the front of the shed to the outside.

FishArt likes this.
  7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised what tiny little holes mice can get in through! I think I've been told they can squeeze through a hole as small as a 1/4" gap!

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I believe your mounts are safe since you have some form of climate and rodent control. Most problems occur from mounts placed in storage, or left in hunting camps with zero climate or rodent control.