1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flying Sandhill Crane

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ollie, Oct 14, 2019.

1. I am getting ready to mount a sandhill crane that will be coming in for a landing. The bird will be suspended form the ceiling. My question is what is the best way to work on this bird to keep it stable during the mounting & finishing process before suspending from the ceiling? Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If it were me I would put at least two heavy gauge wires through the form sticking out the back or one long one bent into a U shape and pushed through the form. Just so I could have 2 places for attachments to keep it from moving much when you position the wings. They can be cut and bent as eyehooks to attach the cable or whatever you are going to hang it by.

Wildthings and bucksnort10 like this.

3. Thanks for the reply 3bears...That was sort of the way I thougt it could be done but wasn't sure. This will be the first suspended mount I've done. A sandhill crane is a pretty large bird to deal with especially those long wings!

bucksnort10 likes this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome and yes they are big and cumbersome but I found I don't mind them. The skin is tuff. I've only used the real head but treated it just like an artificial. Skinned, cleaned up and rebuilt and then glued it just as a fake.

Wildthings, magicmick and bucksnort10 like this.