1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Once You Start You Can't Stop

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by swampfox2, Oct 14, 2019.

1. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

When I closed my business I figured to take down my shingle pick up my business cards and put a big closed sign on the shop door. Unfortunately my shop was in the back yard. Lots, and I mean lots, of folks would come by or call wanting me to mount their deer. I changed my phone number. They ignored the signs, then I would have to go thru the motions of telling them I no longer did taxidermy work and would suggest another local taxidermist. I never knew when I went to town shopping when and if someone I knew or had mounted something for would run me down to ask if I was still doing it. Someone once said that taxidermy is a business where people will try to hunt you up to mount something for them 10 years after you die. I believe that to be as true a statement as I have ever heard !

tem, pir^2h and Richard C like this.
  2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Or they brought it to someone else because you were out of business and then bring you the train wreck they got from another taxidermist and want YOU to fix it so it will blend in with your mounts he has ????????????????/

John C, tem, swampfox2 and 1 other person like this.

3. swampfox2

I really liked the guys that thought you charged too much and had someone else do it then brought it back to you for a remount. I always had some spare capes on hand so I would just remove the antlers and start all over with a new form charging my shop price plus a cape charge. Then there are the guys that want a shoulder mount. They bring in a frozen head and upon thawing you realize there is only a long neck in there with no shoulder. Geeze !

tem likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had the same problem after my retirement. People that I had done work for would literally beg me to do their mounts. For a lot of them, I was their taxidermist since they were twelve. I did their first one and 10 years later I had done their last one, so, I can understand. They had never had any one else mount something for them and they were used to the routine. I finally was able to give a firm answer of no and I asked them to pass the word around. My voicemail said I am no longer taking in taxidermy work and no longer have the equipment to do it. Finally, after a year or so, I occasionally have someone come up to me and say "I know you don't do it anymore, but, if you ever change you mind let me know".

No matter what you do in life, you will always be known as a taxidermist first.

swampfox2 likes this.
  5. swampfox2

I thought for a spell about the quote that "people will be bringing you stuff to mount 10 years after you are dead". I got that from Archie Phillips from Fairfield Alabama in a business course he offered. If he never got anything else right, he nailed that one !