1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fungicidal Spray?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tech bud, Oct 16, 2019.

1. tech bud

tech bud New Member

i soak my fish skin in borax atleast overnite,i try for 24 hrs.
    my question is do i still need to use some kind of fungicide?
    why i ask is because i saw a video online were the guy used a fungicidal spray and said it has to be done hazard perception test. He also used some kind of liquid preservative, not borax. my question there is borax the way to go?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lol stay away from unknown folks on u tube for its so miss leading at times
    If you clean your fish properly, a borax , denatured alcohol, etc soak is fine for them. I use zinc sulfate .
    Through all my years of doing fish in the beginning I used to use it to but learned it’s not needed when you have a clean dried fish.
    Now I’m not saying it’s not a good idea if your sloppy at your work but it can only cover up that mess for so long before grease and oils seep out.
    Learn to clean your fish well. If using real fins , detach them, clean them good, dry them in the position you want, then reattach with epoxy.

swampfox2 and George like this.

3. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

The Zinc Sulfate will tighten up the scales and reduce scale loss.

4. swampfox2

I wish I had tried cutting the fins off and drying, then reattach . I always carded them usually with the plastic with holes that resembled screen wire, paper clips, and pins. I like picking up new ideas.

5. Frank E. Kotula

No the zinc does not do that at all. sorry but always handle your fish carefully
    The alcohol will but once you hydrate the skin again the scales are just as fragile

swampfox2 likes this.
  6. swampfox2

My mistake. Maybe it was the denatured alcohol in the mix. I did them when I started with nothing but water and all the borax it would absorb. Later I started adding zinc sulphate and alcohol if I recall correctly. It's been a while.

7. swampfox2

8. swampfox2

I'm not saying I did things correctly but I dried most of the moisture from my fish skins that I removed after the soak by gently patting them with a dry towel while they layed on a dry towel.. I filled the head cavity with a thick mache mix and put paste on the fish form and a little on the fleshed skin side. I put the fish form in the skin locking the head joint from inside the mouth with a upholsterers pin. Pulled the skin together secured the collar bone area near the gills and closed up my seam, The fins were carded and pinned the cheeks were filled with mache and cut up strips of telephone paper. I flattened them out with a wooden paddle. The fish was put on a wooden 2x2 and into a 2 inch piece of pvc pipe for a holder. When the fish was completely dried and ready for painting I used a coat of fungicidal sealer. Then painted as usual I painted using the 2x2 the fish was attached to and did all but the markings and lateral line holding it at angles to get the desired coverage and tint.

9. Frank E. Kotula

Nothing wrong in your method. That’s general taxidermy.
    I’m more anal as I don’t like to deal with a lot of repair work on building out the mouth interior and all that shrinkage as with the fins.
    I use the real skin, cast their head and use my fin molds . I’ll sometimes cast their fins if there’s something unique about them for that fish.

swampfox2 likes this.
  10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Krylon Matte is a good sealer that can be used instead of "labeled" fungicidal sealers...which are possibly re-labeled Kyrlon Matte!

swampfox2 likes this.
  11. swampfox2

I certainly understand that !

12. swampfox2

We never know do we ?