1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Taxidermy At Home, Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Sheldon Trever, Oct 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sheldon Trever

Sheldon Trever New Member

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started into preserving your catches with taxidermy? I just got interested in it and just skinned, salted, and stuffed a bass and a crappie I caught out of curiousity and they look pretty good and lifelike (no eyes and losing color though).

I hear that after you do that part folks like to paint their fish to restore the colors (fiberglass the fins) and then coat them in a clear gloss coat. Anybody got any tips towards a website dkt nsw or books to learn how to do this (I've already put about 4-5 hours into searching the basics)? Also anybody got any recommendations for the most basic supplies needed to do an ok job? I don't wanna sink a ton of money into this yet and just want to practice on a few bluegill or bream first to see how it goes.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There is a ton of info here for you to lookup and read.
    One big mistake you make is mounting a salted fish. Yes salt dries and preserves the skin but like tanned skins that aren’t washed properly leach out salt as your fish will. Next to that to be politically correct we mount fish but then again lol if your putting mache in your fish then I guess your stuffed lol.
    Basic tools : knife, spoon, scissors, measuring tape, thread needle, foam ,saw
    Paints ( with just primary colors you can make any color you want) brushes, if your lucky air brush and a compressor . This will aid you as reading here and or buying or watching videos.

tviper56 and swampfox2 like this.

3. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

I once mounted up quite a few LM bass, bream, and crappie using the old Archie Phillips method of a strong solution of borax and water over night soak. There are also fish tans you can buy now.