1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Is Your Preferred Method For Sharp Whitetail Ears ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by swampfox2, Oct 17, 2019.

  1. swampfox2

    swampfox2 Well-Known Member

    I have always done bondo and chopped fiber, and later started using the same with tooling resin with tooling resin mixed in. I have never used an ear liner but have always intended to give removing the cartilage a try but up until now felt if it ain't broke don't fix it. just never took the time to sit down and do one to get the feel of it. If I can stay alive long enough that is going to change just for giggles I guess. How do you guys prefer to do your ears ?
     
  2. Frank E. Kotula

    Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

    If you want sharp ears always make sure their skinned right till the end. For me it's earliners but I've seen beautifully done bondo ears but they've been doing it for yrs.
     

  3. GP1419

    GP1419 Member

    Pull the cartilage and use epply earliners on 90% of my mounts the other 10% is Mckenzie liners but always pull the cartilage for me takes maybe 10 minutes a ear.
     
  4. 13 point

    13 point Well-Known Member

    Always pull the cartilage , I use a good ear liner, and I still lay ear liner on a sanding block to get edge even thinner , shade my pro 1 glue with some pink/flesh color and glue them up , pushing excess glue out . Then after my ears are set where I want them , I spray with windex comb them out (grooming) them and I take the wide masking tape and stick it to the back side of ear edge half way then put another pcs in front sandwiching the edge together. You talking crisp .
     
    Richard C and swampfox2 like this.
  5. swampfox2

    swampfox2 Well-Known Member

    I can make a nice bondo ear just want to try liners. and I have a few sets of eppley ears (pink) and a couple sets of McKenzie to give it a whirl. I am getting some capes from a friend who does a lot of deer hunting so stuff that would normally be discarded I am going to using to teach my son. I have some Pro1 and am anxious to use it after all the rave reviews. BTW- The first set of ear liners I ever saw was made from lead. That was in a taxidermy shop in Baudette Minnesota a long time ago.
     
  6. Museum Man

    Museum Man Well-Known Member

    I personally use earliners. I have seen bondo ears that have been bumped and cracked in half. Lead earliners were a big thing back in the day.
     
    swampfox2 likes this.
  7. byrdman

    byrdman Well-Known Member

    6,345
    420
    dont skin them dont turn them dont remove cartilage inject and card them.... they might crack or rot or get bugs later but they will be the best ears in the show
     
    swampfox2 likes this.
  8. swampfox2

    swampfox2 Well-Known Member

    LOL ! I think I will have to pass on cracked, rotten or buggy ears.