1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3d Printed Raptor Skeletons

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Troy Murawski, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Troy Murawski

Troy Murawski New Member

I am going to start a business where you will be able to buy raptor skeletal .STL files. The raptors will be able to be purchased and downloaded, then printed. I am going to work with local raptor rehabs to get the real bones for scanning. Once I have the scans, the real bones can be disposed of. If you want, I can get them printed for you for a fee. I need help getting birds to do this with. Anything crow sized and larger will work. If interested, just respond with any details.

Attached Files:

Jtown likes this.
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Contact any of your local museums or Natural History centers. Ask if they have any raptor skeletons that you could scan. You probably would have to ask if you could set up your scanner on site to scan the bones as you probably would not be permitted to remove them from the building. I think it would be impossible to scan an assembled skeleton so access to dis-articulated bones might work better or at least a skeleton that is partially put together in sections. A very neat idea if you can make it work.

3. Lammergeier

Lammergeier New Member

Utah
    Incredibly interested Troy, I'm a raptor educator and have been experimenting with 3D printing skulls and other parts, because the resin skulls and other visual aids we buy from the companies that produce those are in my opinion way too expensive and I'd rather be able to print them on demand! I haven't contemplated full skeletons much (my printer I have at home requires so many supports it makes really detailed stuff like a whole skeleton into a huge PITA), but if I could print them in parts or groupings and basically articulate them I'd be all over it and definitely pay for those STLs. I'd pay just for good skull scans, too.

I don't know if you're aware but there are a lot of museums and universities digitizing parts of their collections and you can find a lot of bone scans up on Sketchfab, many of them free to download for non-commercial use. Many are scans of skulls in very rough shape though, and most of the bird scans aren't very useful for me (no sclerotic rings, often no mandible, sometimes the skull's just broken), but I did print out some gorgeous life-sized osprey feet!

I've been thinking about doing the same thing as you, sourcing the actual bones / parts. I'm pretty sure I'd need to get some form of federal permit though and I don't really have a place to actually clean the bones myself so I'd have to pay a taxidermist to clean, then pay a company to scan, not really sure it'd end up being an affordable project. The organization I work with has some taxidermy pieces I could possibly draw from to get started, but not many.

4. Lammergeier

Lammergeier New Member

Utah
    I was thinking of doing this with my local natural history museum, they have some very cool taxidermy birds and a few skeletons in their bio lab, and they have their own digitizing department as well working on scanning in a ton of different objects. I don't really see a reason why they'd want to use all their expensive resources to help me out though! :D

And I'd definitely prefer to scan a disarticulated skeleton... it'd be easier to print, for one, especially on a tiny printer like the one I have, but it'd also be kind of a cool kit project to be able to buy a full disarticulated "skeleton" and put it together.

Really wish I had the skills to sculpt complex things like that the way the person at MythicArticulations does.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ahh .. but if you offer to pay them for their expense and make a donation to the facility as well it should help to bend things in your favor. To catch a fish you need to bait the hook.

I have several of his pieces. They are very addictive. I also had him custom scale up his werewolf skeleton to a foot tall.