1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide Repair Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Lonewolf_8126, Oct 18, 2019.

1. [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I am working on a Black Hawaiian Ram shoulder mount, and have run across an issue. While sewing up the holes caused by the outfitter and/or tannery, I came across a weak spot right in the middle of the beard. While sewing it, I noticed that the leather was literally pulling away with hair in it. The more I tried to sew it, the bigger the hole gets...any insight on what I can do to prep this area for mounting, without losing all the beard?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Leave it alone till you mount it. hopefully you’ll and should have slack in the skin.
    I will then using my hide puller ( regulator, stout ruffer etc) and gently bring the skin together. From there pin it till it dries.
    Ps don’t forget to pull the pins out afterwards and use a high quality hide paste

swampfox2 likes this.

3. Thank you Frank, This is actually the first time that I have encountered something like this. I tend to do more fish than any other species.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You can also glue it together, I use 3 things to glue cape holes , 1 is I have pcs of hide from my fleshing machine when thinning capes 2 when I pull the cartilage from my deer ears there is a really strong thin and kinda big pcs of skin which is now leather and 3 used dryer sheets . I cut one of the above to fit , I then take and wipe spot with lacquer thinner then pull together and spread super glue gel on the area to be glued , lay repair strip in place and rub it down into glue . Then mount it , now your hide paste won’t come out and get all over the cape , and when it dries it’s closed . You can put a card on flat hide while drying or in your case just push on it 2-3 times a day as it dries .

swampfox2 likes this.
  5. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

The epo-grip epoxy would make a strong bond as well just have to wait for it to set up.