1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetle Help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Bowhunter1800, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Bowhunter1800

Bowhunter1800 New Member

Hey guys I’m new to the beetles. I keep them in an old chest freezer. Every thing was goin pretty good and then I put my first deer skull in and ever since then my humidity jumped way up to about 80 percent does anyone have a reason that this might be or something to help with it.
    Thanks

2. The humidity will jump is your freezer is not vented

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. Did you also take the brain out of skull and air dry it for a while before giving it to the bugs? There are a couple of really good freezer builds on here to show how to ventilate it properly.

4. Bowhunter1800

Bowhunter1800 New Member

The freezer does have a 2.5 in vent hole but I may have to add another or a fan and yes I did get the brain out but did not let it dry out before I put it in I will have to do the for the next one.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Put the heads in front of a fan to help them dry out faster. Meat should be a bit like jerky but not hard as a rock.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I lost an entire colony in a freezer overnight due to poor ventilation. I had a 12 inch square screen vent in the lid. The temp inverted, and our humidity had that freezer filled with moisture. A circulating fan is a must.

7. Kevin Strock

Kevin Strock New Member

As long as your freezer is vented and has air circulation add a heating element used for reptiles to reduce humidity and will keep temp up as well. My temp runs about 75-85 degrees and humidity will be 50 or less sometimes as low as 25.. had my colony going on about 3 years now..

8. On my colonies I replaced the entire lid with a new lid framed with 2x2 and used the smallest window screen mesh I could find. Between the freezer and lid I glued a magnetic strip on freezer and on new lid sealing it so they couldn't get out. I put a towel over the top to help keep warm. I usually put 4-5 heads in at a time and by the end of the week they're clean. The only time I have humidity problems is if they were wet when put in enclosure. I keep all heads waiting on beetles in a real freezer where they tend to dry out while frozen.