1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wet Tan Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tobynitch, Oct 22, 2019.

1. tobynitch

tobynitch New Member

I need some help... I am a beginner and have only worked with dry tans. I have a freezer, and I know what to do to store wet tanned hides. However, I've got a few questions. How do I go about thawing the hide? How can I tell when it's ready to mount?

Also, what is the best adhesive to use with wet tanned hides? I use regular hide paste for all my other projects, but please let me know what is the best thing to use!

I have very little experience, so any advice for handling wet tanned furs is appreciated. : ) thank you.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Wet tanned is very easy , I leave in bag and put in fridge or even just on floor , I will even make a shampoo bath in sink and throw it in there to thaw . Once thawed by any of those means , then wash/shampoo, rinse soap out roll in towel to get excess water out then proceed as normal thinning and prepping, I use pro1 on all my mounts it awesome and has great holding power . Hope that helps

tobynitch likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I much prefer using wet tanned hides/capes. I thaw them by one of the methods used above. I don’t leave it out and let it get too warm. Once thawed, if I can’t mount immediately, I store it in a refrigerator. I often wash/shampoo and rinse as 13 point described, and I use air blower to dry fur and assure excess water is removed. Any hide paste that works with a dry tan will work with a wet tan - now you get into individual preference of hide paste.

4. tobynitch

tobynitch New Member

H
    How long can it be stored in the fridge?What if I want to do a test fit on my form, would I go through the process and put it back in the freezer?

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ve left them in a cold fridge for over a week with no issues, remember they are tanned . With a good tan you will have no problems

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019