1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cougar Or Bear Skinned Up The Belly

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Micah Howards, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Why are all cougars and Bears skinned up the belly? Is this the way you are supposed to mount them even for a lifesize? I tried that on a squirrel and it failed terribly. Also I have found one with just the head mounted in one for a rug but no felt or anything, Could it be taken off of the rug head and mounted into a lifesize very easy or would that rune it? Thanks

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

My guess is it is for the fur market. If a trapper does a dorsal it is basically only good for taxidermy.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. Micah Howards

Okay, is that they way you mount them though? like put it on the form and then sew it up through the belly? Thanks again.

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Yep, that is the way you do it. It is hard to hid those stitches on a ventral on a bear. I did a standing up bear with a ventral once. After I was done with the mounting I used a spray glue and implanted hair along the seam. It worked! Don't know about a mountain lion; haven't done one yet.

George and Micah Howards like this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Most the time it’s the outfitters that skinned them and most the time it’s in the field where it was killed . It’s the easiest and fastest way to get the hide off . I’ve told many of my clients to have and make sure to have the guide skin it the way he wants it done , be it be case cut or dorsal . But that said if sewed a many black , Brown, Kodiak bear completely back up ( inside out ) on my table then dorsal cut them to mount .

Most rug mounts don’t have the foot pads in them , and they are shaped cut and sewed in the flank area to lay flat so most likely you can’t change it from rug to L/S Mount

6. Micah Howards

Okay Thank you both.

okay I was hoping that wasn't the case but that is fine. Thanks

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Micah, these guys have covered all the "Why's", but the ventral cut is your friend UNLESS you're having the belly area show. With bears I have inverted the skin and sewn the belly incision up . Turn the hide over and take a Sharpie and make a line from between it's ears to it's tail, making crosshatch marks every 6 inches or so. Cut the line. Now you can have a walking bear form slip into the skin like a pair of kids jammies. Use the crosshatch marks to insure you're sewing it back up correctly.

Having said that, I've tubed bears and mounted them. The McKenzie form of the "resting " bear was ideal for this method. Cut the head and neck off and mount it. Then push the rest of the form up into the tube and only sew the lower legs and across the butt area. Remember, SOMETIMES it makes work much easier if you CUT THE FORM AND NOT THE SKIN.

8. Micah Howards

Okay Thanks. That helps a lot!

9. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    I skin almost everything down the belly. From the throat to the crotch. Alot easier mounting for me. And if its tube skinned i open it up from throat to crotch, and just have the extra sewing at the crotch

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Most hunters, guides, etc skin them out with a belly cut. Particularly bear as it can be mounted life size or made into a rug. Belly cut is a typical cut for mounting as well although there are certain advantages to a dorsal cut, depending on the position one chooses to mount the animal in. Belly cut requires a lot more sewing, and if the fur is thin down the belly and legs, more difficult to hide.

11. Micah Howards

Okay Thanks!

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A critter can be mounted in just about any pose with a ventral cut although I would rather a dorsal for a standing on hind legs bear. Just as George mentioned you some times have to think outside the box and remove a limb or 2 from the form, insert them in and mount up put them back where they belong and screw them into the form. Make a small incision for the screw, sew back up. Having the seam on the belly puts it farther from the viewer's eyes in most situations or at least the view is disrupted by legs or habitat to help disguise it. It does boil down to personal preferences and or skills.

Micah Howards and HondaXR250 like this.
  13. Micah Howards

Thank you all. I do have a few more questions. So the one I am looking at has the pads, If it wouldn't be to much could someone post a pic of a cougar that was split down the belly and all laid out, so I can see what skin should all be there? Thanks. The pic I got from the person won't transfer to here. Thank you.