1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sawing Out Antlers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by swampfox2, Oct 23, 2019.

1. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

I have always fought taking off antlers. I used a concrete block to make my cut at the back of the skull by sticking the nose & face in a hole. I recently got a dvd of Ben Mears methods and he used a 2x4 with spikes on each end clamped to his work bench with c-clamps. One set of spikes was set far enough apart to engage the head meat and hold it firmly while you made your front cut between the eye orbit and antler burr. The second set of spikes were longer and closer together to run up the nose and mouth and support that while making the cut from the rear of the skull. I am going to make one of these for my son to use. What do others use ?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use a Jonas fleshing system attachment designed for cutting off the antlers.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I use a sawzall with wood blade ,2 simple cuts , nothing holding it but my left hand as I cut it with my right . 90% of the time my cut is perfect to go on form no recuts , but I’ve got 34 years of doing it .

Audra, D.Price, 15pt and 5 others like this.
  4. swampfox2

I will be using a Sawzall set up with a wood blade as well. With that jig set up with spikes of course.

msestak likes this.
  5. I use an jumper cables clamp screwed to a small table clamp right on the nose make forehead cut first

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I use a hacksaw. Might take a little longer but it works for me just fine.

msestak likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

George has a tutorial of a box he built specifically for holding deer heads. Check the tutorials for it. I have a 4" hole cut in my skinning table to insert the deer's nose into. We use a 12" saws-all blade to cut off the antlers.

swampfox2, msestak and buckfever* like this.
  8. swampfox2

I have always used a hand saw or meat saw, or a hacksaw sometimes as well. Going to the Sawzall and jig made with spikes to do it from now on. I have done it like a cave man too long.

msestak likes this.
  9. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Ive always used 2 hands and either a limb saw or sawzall. Limb saw works alot better than hacksaw

msestak and swampfox2 like this.
  10. swampfox2

Meat saw works good too. I am just going to build a jig and impale first the back part of the skull on the spikes then its hands free cutting from between the eye orbit and the antler burr. Take it off that and impale on a set of longer spikes thru the nose and mouth. Then make a cut from the back of the skull to meet the first cut. I watched Ben Mears use this. I said to myself, self why didn't you think of that.

msestak and HondaXR250 like this.
  11. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Lol my self likes to think of things afterwards sometimes too

12. swampfox2

That's what hanging around folks with like interests will do. Sooner or later you will see or hear something you can use to make things easier/better. It's like mining for gold nuggets.

msestak likes this.
  13. 1024191209.jpg
    stick nose over in it and cut away.
    works great for removing jaw bone too. but front teeth in and pull down on antlers.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  14. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Yep i completely understand that

msestak likes this.
  15. swampfox2

Thanks buckfever. An other gold nugget for someone.

msestak likes this.
  16. swampfox2

I always used the long handled pruning shears on jawbones. The DNR does the same when you have to check in a deer on some of our WMA hunts. It doesn't damage the cape when done right so if you want to mount it no harm no foul.

msestak likes this.
  17. yep!
    but I was talking about removing the bottom jaw after skinning for skull mounts. one pull both sides out at the hinge.

18. swampfox2

Oh ! Ok see what you meant.

msestak likes this.
  19. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

I have about a 2 1/2 diameter pipe, vertically mounted, on the edge of my skinning table. Nose goes in there for second cut. First cut parallel to pedicles, second from back of skull to first. Big coarse wood blade in a sawzall. I try to get the cuts crooked so I have to recut them later, just kidding. Grab the antler away from you and brace your arm in the close antler. As always, think it through a bit before you sever something important, like your leg.

I used to use a 55 gallon solid top drum with one on the bungs removed.

20. swampfox2

It is interesting to see how many ways there are to get this done. Sawzall is absolutely the easiest in my opinion. Getting too old to fight with hand saws.

msestak likes this.