1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sawing Out Antlers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by swampfox2, Oct 23, 2019.

1. tem

tem Well-Known Member

my brother built me a stand that has two 7inch steal rods welded to the top of it. legs are welded on the bottom. i push the deer down on top of it going through the bottom of the neck to the back of the skull. i cape the front of the head down as far as i want to go. flip the head around and push the nose of the deer through the two spikes.(this is why i do this first. so the nose skin is out of the way with out damaging it) then i skin the rest. and now you can cut off the antlers. the stand will hold it. its made for my seating hight. works great.

msestak likes this.
  2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't know about you guys. Why on God's green earth would you use a hole in a table or a concrete block to hold the most fragile and most vulnerable part of a deer anatomy. One slip, or one "iffy" hide and you end up with deer leather for a muzzle or at least a "ring around the nose". The jig in the tutorial works for does, button bucks, spikes, or Alberta Goliaths. But then again, what do I know about taxidermy anyway.

3. George

4. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

That is a great invention for caping out a head, however I was referring to removing the antlers from the skinned out head/skull. My son tried out the spike holder we made and it worked out good for him and only takes up a small space on the work bench.

5. George

Swampfox, check out all the pictures. It works just as well for capping as it does for caping.

swampfox2 likes this.
  6. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

Ok, I didn't know you could get double duty from it. Thanks, George.

7. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

One of these days we’re going to have to do this with George’s head.
    He can be the answer man for the taxi net. Why try and reinvent the wheel when there’s someone that’s already done it?

swampfox2 likes this.