1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ok Suppliers, Listen Up

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Oct 24, 2019.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Though I sold my business to a student nearly 2 years ago, I didn't really walk away from the industry and I'm still trying to keep up with technology in case I need it after I'm reincarnated.
    THAT BEING SAID, EXACTLY WHERE DO YOU FIND THESE GUYS IN YOUR SHIPPING DEPARTMENT.

A few weeks back this guy orders TWO FORMS FROM TWO DIFFERENT SUPPLIERS. One is a lifesized black bear and the other is that damnable whitetail landing after jumping a fence. Since distance and shipping was involved, he gave the suppliers "permission to cut the form".

The black bear arrived first. It was the typical "400 pound monster" that may have pushed 125 soaking wet from Ontario. It was about 60 inches nose to tail. We knew something was up when the box arrived. They had "saved on freight," but this thing had been cut into 5 separate, bite-sized chunks. It took half a day and a half gallon of foam to glue Humpty Dumpty together again. We called the supplier and advised him to "have a talk with the people back in shipping."

Well, that abortion of a deer arrived yesterday. In case you're unfamiliar with the pose, the weight of the entire deer is on the front two legs. During casting this form, the suppliers uses 3/4 threadstock to insure stability. Now remember, we were guilty is authorizing the form to be cut, but for some reason, we assumed that the guy doing the cutting had at least a working knowledge of what was necessary before cutting. WRONG!

The form had BOTH FRONT LEGS CUT OFF ABOUT 3 INCHES BELOW THE BRISKET. The supplier was called but the only person available was the "customer service" lady. She informed my guy that he'd told them they could cut it and if he didn't like it, he'd have to buy a new form. He could return it but he'd have to pay shipping before they'd issue a credit on this $400 form.

It took all day and emailing photos to finally get the supplier to agree that the form was unusable and that they'd replace it and pay for return shipping. There was absolutely no way this form could have been salvaged. She suggested "welding" but for 3/4 inch threadstock, I can see that whole form going up in smoke. ANYONE with ANY KNOWLEDGE of what we do would know this. Certainly not the customer service person, but SOMEONE needs to go back and give a seminar on proper form cutting

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Sounds like Reseach Manikins had a hand in this one. They don't believe in following customer instructions when cutting manikins.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Sounds like they ordered forms from IKEA.

Jtown and magicmick like this.