1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shrinkage Of Horns

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by 1tahr, Oct 25, 2019.

1. 1tahr

1tahr Active Member

Hi I recently went to mount a bull tahr of my own which when fresh measured just under 14 inches after boiling and sitting in my workshop for 3 years ive notice the length has shrunk by a few mms . how much shrinkage occurs after boiling and what other methods are people using to get horns off thanks

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you put the head in a black plastic bag (double bag it), toss in a couple of cups of water and get the bag into a *really* warm room you should be able to pull and twist off the horns after a few days. Unbag it outside because it will stink and use rubber gloves. Cut up underneath the horn bases with a thin knife all the way around and they should come off easily. Boiling can make them stuck on. After 3 years of sitting, if you want the horns off now, you will have to soak the skull for several days (if not a week or so) and try pulling them off. You may have to drill a few small holes into the back of the horn through and into the cores to let water in. Also try hitting at them with a rubber mallet in the direction you want them to go .. after soaking. They will come off the same as goat or sheep horns.

Micah Howards likes this.