1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler Skull Cap Cleaning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by One Eyed Jack, Oct 28, 2019.

1. One Eyed Jack

One Eyed Jack New Member

What's the best way to clean an antler skull cap prior to mounting? Thank you in advance for your advice.

John

Eric Weiss likes this.
  2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i have used a small plow torch to clean it up (keep away from the antlers;)) or use salt on it.these are what i use.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I cut as much meat off as possible and and pull the brain cavity liner out with needle nose plyers, then salt to dry out . When ready to mount I wire brush salt off cut to fit drill holes and such , then I take a propane hand tourch and burn excess meat and grease off , it’s amazing how much grease will drip out of that skull plate , be very careful with this step as you can burn/ tourch the skull plate to the point of being very briddle . It will smell burnt, and that also deters bugs , let it cool and wire brush all the burnt stuff off ( after brushing it don’t smell as strong) and your good to go . All these steps takes just minutes, I go in and skuff form and set eyes as it cools off . Hope that helps ya

4. disabled

disabled Active Member

should you simmer the meat off???

5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I remove the meat and membrane with a knife, coat the plate with dry preserve and hang to dry.

msestak and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.
  6. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Does anyone soak in DA after removing flesh and membrane. Would it pull grease from the skull? just curious. I have been cleaning them up and covering the skull cap with borax and let dry. Maybe I should be doing more.

msestak likes this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    just clean as much as you can, borax and dry. If it's good enough for birds it is enough for a skull plate that will under, bondo, clay or mache or whatever folks are rebulding tissue.

buckfever*, msestak, George and 4 others like this.
  8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you want it super clean, and fast, pressure wash it. I normally follow 3bears recommendation, but if one is extremely bloody due to a close gunshot, I'll pressure wash it.

Lance.G and 15pt like this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Simmering will weaken the bone, although I did it many times when I was starting out. It's better to just remove every bit of meat and membrane and dry it with DP.

15pt and msestak like this.
  10. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I cut and scrape all the meat and membrane off and then soak for at least 24 hours in a borax saturate solution.

11. Stuff39

Stuff39 New Member

I too will scrape and salt,then boil for 15-20 minutes.This makes it totally clean.Structure of bone is fine for screw holes.