1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Possum Tail Tanning?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Katie T, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Katie T

Katie T New Member

I bet it's been asked before, but can you tan a possum's tail? All the tutorials I've seen say to cut it off, but can you tan it with the tail still on, or is there a problem with the skin or something?

Thank you!

MixedupMel likes this.
  2. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Lots of folks like to remove them and slip mold them but I've done several by either tube skinning the tails or splitting them. It's hard to hide stitches on them so I prefer tubing, when possible. When tanning the hide either make a wick to insert into the tail so the tanning solution can get in there or use a large syringe (preferred) to pump solution into it. I've never had a problem with hair slippage using this procedure.

MixedupMel and Katie T like this.

3. Katie T

Katie T New Member

Do I need to use a syringe even if I split it? The skin doesn't seem thick enough to inject anything

MixedupMel likes this.
  4. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
    I didn't mean inject into the tail skin itself, I meant inject (without a needle) tanning solution into the tube skinned tail so the inside skin is in contact with tanning solution. When/if you split the tail you won't need to inject any tanning solution as the solution will make contact with the inside of the tail skin after it is split open.

p.s. if you do tube skin be sure to put a small hole in the very tip of the tail so tanning solution passes thru as you push it in with syringe.

MixedupMel and Katie T like this.
  5. Katie T

Katie T New Member

Oh I see, thank you so much! I was hoping I could keep it on! Have a wonderful day!

MixedupMel likes this.