1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lost A Freezer

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by pir^2h, Nov 4, 2019.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I had one of my freezers go on the fritz. Fortunately everything in it is mine and most skins were already tanned. I will probably have some loss with the birds I had in there. I squeezed what I had into a regular kitchen refrigerator/freezer and my chest freezer. There was still some ice in the bottom where the water from the coils leaks and I know it was working yesterday. The alarm wasn't going off! I think all it needs is a fan. The cooling coils still get ice cold and the fan is getting voltage but won't turn. I would have thought my twenty-one year old Kenmore would have failed before this eight year old Whirlpool.

Words to the wise: Don't neglect to have a freezer alarm.

Vic

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Update: The fan was the problem. Fixed it myself last night (and without youtube). I knew the fan was bad when I check the voltage going to the fan,it was there. To be sure I took a resistance check on the winding on the fan, it was open.

Get this, I looked up the part on Sears parts direct. They wanted $95 and some change for the fan. For a little 4 x 5 inch maybe an inch thick fan! I figured Sears is always high anyways so I went to the appliance place that sells parts and they said the part was $143.00. I wasn't going to pay that so I went on Whirlpool's web site, same part, $145.00.

Google is great! I put in the model number of the fan in google (the fan is made by Panasonic). Google came up with several places that sell the part. Most had a General Electric part number and the cost was $45 and some change. I put the fan model number into Amazon, same fan, $35.14 plus tax. I had my coworker order it with her Amazon Prime account (free two day shipping). Total cost: a little over $38.00. My freezer is back up and running for a fraction of what it would have cost to have someone come out and repair it or to replace the freezer with a similar size.

I will tell you that was a bit nerve racking having that freezer go out. I couldn't imagine what I would be thinking if I had customer skins in there. This could have been a lot worse if I didn't have a freezer alarm. It may have been days or weeks before I found it was down.