1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bent Wire

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by drob, Nov 6, 2019 at 4:09 PM.

1. Ordered wire from Mckenzie for birds and they sent it bent in half!Why would they do that? How hard is it to straighten it out? Please help.

2. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls New Member

Try to put one end in a vise, and one end in your drill...then turn the drill on and straighten the wire.
    I'd also tell them and see if they se d you some back. I just buy mine by the coil on Amazon, and straighten it like I just explained. Good luck.

3. Thankyou very much

4. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls New Member

Did it fix it??

5. Wire has been sent that way for a long time. I still have some J.W. Elwood supply company wire from 1961 that is bent in half. Can be straitened enough with just a good pliers.

6. Thanks!

7. Have not tried it yet,but i'm sure it will work.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Attach one end into a pair of vice-grip pliers, and the other end into a drill. Hold the vice-grips with your feet, while SLOWLY turning the drill. This will easily straighten any wire.

9. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

or bend it back to straight and then take a hammer to the whoopity woop on the flat anvil on your vise or lay it on a concrete floor and whap the crook in it with a hammer. Only takes a minute

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Did you order other items with it? If so, the wire will fit into the box easier where as if they shipped it straight it may require a completely different box (or tube) resulting in additional shipping charges. I sure if you want it straight they would send it that way if you requested this. My opinion!

11. Nice tip. After all these years I had never heard of this. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    pir^2h likes this.
  12. Thanks for everyone's help!

13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

ive used this method to straighten rebar tie wire that comes on a roll for years. Probably learned the method at a bird seminar sometime in the past.