1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting Leopard Skin Fromm Road Kill

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Bernard Agwanda, Nov 10, 2019 at 3:23 AM.

1. Bernard Agwanda

Bernard Agwanda New Member

I have a leopard carcass in minus 20 freezer that was donated to me from a road kill. It took about 12 hours to get it to a freezer after death and it was blotted at the time it made it to a freezer in our museum.

I have no experience treating this kind of skin and I was wondering if there is anyone with advice on how to pickle and tan this kind of skin before mounting it

Please note this happened in Kenya where temperture is 24+ degrees celcius

Thanks in advance

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

For those who don't understand, 24 Degrees celcius, is about 75.2 degrees Fahrenheit.

Conversion = Degrees Celcius times (9/5) + 32 = Fahrenheit.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Unfortunate, but you might be able to save it. Before doing anything, look online and buy a couple of bottles of a product called "Stop Rot". This was made originally by one of our wonderful members (RIP Glen) and is a miracle product. I realize you are in Africa and shipping will be expensive but I suggest you get it. As you skin it, spray the flesh side with this. I have used this on bloated, green belly coyotes and have had no slipping at all. Make sure you spray the whole hide with this till wet with it. Can't think of anything else you could do to try and save it. That length of time, in that heat, will not have done the hide any good.

msestak and Micah Howards like this.