1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sweating An Oiled Cape

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Shemp, Nov 10, 2019 at 4:27 PM.

1. Shemp

Shemp New Member

I'm following the directions for EZ 100 tanning. After oiling should the cape be put in a bag to sweat? Doesn't mention one but it would make sense.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What do the directions say to do?

3. Shemp

Shemp New Member

The directions say to place the oiled folded hide in a warm place so it can sweat for 4 to 6 hours. That's it. But it's drying out quickly. So I'm wondering what other taxidermist do while sweating the hide. Ie put it in a plastic bag.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I used EZ-100 several years ago. I used it for quite a while. I couldn't remember what the directions said, but I do remember laying it skin to skin and folded it and setting it on a table in in my tanning room. I don't remember covering it with anything.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok being a huge fan of this awesome tan it’s very simple. after the skin has 4-6 hrs of oiling it’s good enough to
    1 wash and mount
    2 Hang and let dry
    3 you could now freeze it.
    My method is I usually oil them by 3-4 o’clock in my shop. I fold them till morning. I then hang them for a day. Doing this lets any excess oil drip off, or moisture. Then I bag them separate, place a number that coincides with the number on the cape and freeze or fridge them till I’m ready to mount them.
    One thing to remember ( NEVER FREEZE A WET CAPE) doing this can and will cause epidermal slippage.