1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sweating An Oiled Cape

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Shemp, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Shemp

Shemp New Member

I'm following the directions for EZ 100 tanning. After oiling should the cape be put in a bag to sweat? Doesn't mention one but it would make sense.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What do the directions say to do?

3. Shemp

Shemp New Member

The directions say to place the oiled folded hide in a warm place so it can sweat for 4 to 6 hours. That's it. But it's drying out quickly. So I'm wondering what other taxidermist do while sweating the hide. Ie put it in a plastic bag.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I used EZ-100 several years ago. I used it for quite a while. I couldn't remember what the directions said, but I do remember laying it skin to skin and folded it and setting it on a table in in my tanning room. I don't remember covering it with anything.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok being a huge fan of this awesome tan it’s very simple. after the skin has 4-6 hrs of oiling it’s good enough to
    1 wash and mount
    2 Hang and let dry
    3 you could now freeze it.
    My method is I usually oil them by 3-4 o’clock in my shop. I fold them till morning. I then hang them for a day. Doing this lets any excess oil drip off, or moisture. Then I bag them separate, place a number that coincides with the number on the cape and freeze or fridge them till I’m ready to mount them.
    One thing to remember ( NEVER FREEZE A WET CAPE) doing this can and will cause epidermal slippage.

rogerswildlife and coroner2 like this.
  6. Shemp

Shemp New Member

Thanks!

7. Shemp

Shemp New Member

Thanks!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  8. BCShaver

BCShaver New Member

H
    Hey Frank, what oil would you use for this?....I have the Pro Plus and Super Soft. I have only used the fat liquor method with Knoblachs and trubond but I’m currently trying the EZ100. Thanks.