1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Chunk Of Fur Came Out In First Time Tanning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Katie T, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Katie T

Katie T New Member

I tanned my first skin (a squirrel) and a chunk of fur came out. I salted everything before pickling and I made sure the pH was right, what did I do wrong?

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

That could almost be anything. You may not have done anything wrong! When was it harvested? Did you harvest the squirrel, someone give it to you, or buy it? If it was either of the last two things mentioned it may have been bad to begin with. If you harvested it yourself how long was it before you put it on ice? So many variables could cause the problem you have listed. Wish I could give you a better answer but these are all things that must be considered. Don't let it get you down. Get another critter and try it again.

Personally I never salted a squirrel. I do tan my squirrel skins but I go straight from the skinning/fleshing to the pickle and then to tanning. So far (knock on wood) no issues.

Vic

msestak and Micah Howards like this.

3. Katie T

Katie T New Member

It was actually roadkill haha, I guess I better try something that's guaranteed a little fresher. Thank you!

pir^2h likes this.
  4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    now you know what you did wrong :D

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I have picked up plenty of road kills. Some work out ok, others not so. If nothing else you got some practice on skinning. Keep at it!

Vic

Micah Howards and msestak like this.