1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tube Caped Deer Mount Questions.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Live2Hunt, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Live2Hunt

Live2Hunt Member

Now I know I am old school but I got two Coues capes that were tubed caped at the butcher shop. They did a great job and I like the concept of no seam down the back after it is mounted but I have no clue as to how to get the cape on the form without having to put the antlers on after the cape is stretched over the form. That is doable but I don't like it. Am I missing something?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Nope that’s it , preset ur antlers and screw them in place , you can even cover your skull plate with your normal materials but leave access to your screws after your materials dry if it be plaster , mache or whatever , back screws out and just give rack a good bump and it will pop off form . Then paste up as normal pull cape back over . Screw rack back down and sew small incision up . You should have had your earbutt clay already inears so now set ears as normal. On small neck deer sometimes you can’t get the neck to go over the form head , if that happens you have two options 1 cut neck more and sew or what I do as I hate sewing , is to V cut head off form at the head neck junction, stick head in skin then pull cape back over rest of form and glue head back on , takes less time to do that then sew for me . Hope that helps

Chippers, Micah Howards and pir^2h like this.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Great advice from 13 point! Preset your antlers in Bondo. When removed, they will go back in exactly the same place. Mache can break, and the fit is not always guaranteed to be as exacting as Bondo. Smear Vaseline on the form in the antler mounting area before pouring the Bondo to aid in easy removal.

Micah Howards and pir^2h like this.
  4. Live2Hunt

Live2Hunt Member

Thank you!

5. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Agree with 13 pts except if the cape is too tight for the antlerless head of form to fit through, it usually requires maybe just an inch or so of cutting to extend the incision enough to squeeze the head through. To me adding maybe a few more stitches to an already short incision is preferable to removing and reattaching a head. Like Joey, I think bondo is preferable also but I use a thin plastic sheet instead of vasoline because when I reposition the bondo-filled cap to the plate after slipping the cape over the neck I apply some more bondo between them before permanently screwing it down. I use a quick setting mache or water putty mixed with some PE foam dust as a filler to build/sculpt the head over the skull. I would also recommend getting your ear liners inserted first with hide glue and build clay butts before slipping the cape over the head as it’s much easier then doing this once it’s dangling on the form.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Micah Howards likes this.