1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help With Bear

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by TakDriver0713, Nov 15, 2019.

1. TakDriver0713

TakDriver0713 New Member

I have not done alot of bears and this particular bear has been a pain so I am looking for some help. It is a very large black bear shoulder mount. The tannery butchered the hide so the only thing left to salvage was a pedestal mount or wall pedestal. The bear is currently mounted but I feel I am going to have to rehydrate to make additional alterations to the form bc for my liking it just doesn't look right. The neck is just to skinny imo. I had to alter the head ALOT to get the size right but now the form just looks to small. The bear has extremetly short hair so there is not much there to add bulk now. Just not sure what do here honestly. If anybody could give me some POSITIVE criticism and some pointers on what to do it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok trying help here and first off you bought the wrong form to begin with. if I’m doing that much on the head then I have to do a lot to the body also.
    I have a rule of thumb in my shop and that’s to take head measurements and I go from there. If life size then length.
    Very seldom do I find a bear form that fits so I alter 95% of my bears in one way or another.
    Ok I would have done a lot more test fitting before I mounted it completely as I can see a lot of the issues you stated. This is why I’m say this much altering needs a different form for sure.
    Now you have to look at this. Do I want to salvage this form as the head is good but I’ll hydrate everything, and cut this form apart in a whole bunch more pieces or do I remeasure it and get another form closer to what I’ve altered . There are different forms size with the same nose to eye measurements.
    Now for as long as I’ve been doing this I have no issues in hacking forms apart and altering them. But before I sew them up I make sure I have a good fit . It’s something you should have done before you mounted it and lesson learned for the next one.
    Now think of time and materials before either you get a better fit one or hack and foam this one.

MixedupMel and Micah Howards like this.

3. TakDriver0713

TakDriver0713 New Member

Well unfortunately I took this project from another taxidermist that had no time so now it's my problem. I should have definitely done more test fitting bc all I had was the hide. I THOUGHT I had found a form suitable but I was definitely wrong on that. This was the largest shoulder I could find at 6x32 but the bear itself was almost 600lbs. I don't mind hacking and altering bc I don't know where to buy a bigger form. I will most likely do as you said and rehydrate then cut the head off since it's good and alter from there. Unfortunately at this point it's not about the money just about getting a good product out the door. I'm already in it at the max for what I quoted (definitely under quoted) but as I said it's my problem now, if you could give me a few tips on what you see and how you would start altering it would be appreciated. Thanks

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Re-hydrate, pull the hide from the form and add to the back and a little to the sides of the neck...to the extent that the hide will still fit. From the profile you want to eliminate that dip in the neck line between the shoulders and the top of the head. Would have been a lot easier before mounting the hide, but still very doable.

Micah Howards likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Since you like the head fit, cut it right off now. From here cut it into quarters and fit pieces of wood and rebuild the body using 10-12 lag screws. Test fit along the way. Once fitted , reattach the head and mount him up.
    I’ve done up to 750 lbs but test fitted all the way. Sometimes you get a different body, grizz and alter it to fit.
    Have you looked into head quarters as Aron is sculpting for them and NC bears are a lot bigger than northern bears just a thought

Micah Howards and MixedupMel like this.
  6. TakDriver0713

TakDriver0713 New Member

Thank you guys very much for the input I really appreciate it and I definitely know what direction to move in now. I haven't checked out head quarters but I will for sure. Once I get it done I will post a few few pics again and see what you think.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. TakDriver0713

TakDriver0713 New Member

Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice on this bear. I got it all straightened out and the customer was very happy. Finish work hadn't been done yet in these pics but he definitely was a far cry from what I had before. Thanks again so much

Attached Files:

Micah Howards likes this.
  8. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

WOW...much better.

TakDriver0713 likes this.
  9. TakDriver0713

TakDriver0713 New Member

Thank you. Definitely worked better with the correct form lol, still had to do some altering but the finished product was MUCH better and the Client was very happy!

msestak likes this.
  10. Spraylord

Spraylord New Member

Way to stick with it. I’m sure there were a lot of hard learned lessons in that one.

TakDriver0713 and msestak like this.
  11. TakDriver0713

TakDriver0713 New Member

Thank you. I definitely learned some lessons on this one but I was happy the way it turned out.

msestak likes this.