1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Of A Lifetime. Dilemma

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Fishingrooney, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Fishingrooney

Fishingrooney New Member

Hello. I am from New Jersey and have just shot my deer of a lifetime for the heavily pressured public land I hunt . I have a taxidermist I have used for my last 4 bucks. He does nice work, but offers zero insight Or help on selecting a pose or
    A form, he leaves that completely up to custom preference. I would like a pose that shows off his mass, as I will never shoot another deer with mass like this in my home state . Any input would be appreciated from some guys that have an eye for this kind of question. I have a couple of joe Coombs 9500 and an ots semi sneaks so far .

Attached Files:

Micah Howards likes this.
  2. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Very nice buck! Almost hit one like that the other night with the car (wish i would of! :(). Personally i like anything with a offset shoulder. Im not much of a fan of upright, but more semi sneak, or head down aggressive. If it were me and it was a buck i knew id never top, i would go even more customized like flehmen, or eating an apple, or corn cob. But if i had the room (which id make), i would probably do a full body jumping a old barb wire fence.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Mckenzie 64 D Left turn

4. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

That’s unbelievable for a Jersey buck! Congrats on that great deer. What county may I ask? Maybe a pedestal might be the answer, It would allow you to see it from more angles and certainly would be a nice show or center piece.

George, Micah Howards and Chippers like this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I would go with what HondaXR250 said if you have the entire skin, get a lifesize! Nothing will show him off like that. It will cost you more but You may be kicking yourself later. My opinion for what it is worth.

6. Fishingrooney

Fishingrooney New Member

Full life size mount is out of the question.
    I definitely like the looking down slightly. I think it shows off his rack a lot more vs looking straight shown below

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  7. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

OTS pedestal would look good. The floor pedestal would make it more eye level.

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Not any help here but damn that is a nice buck. Congrats.

9. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    slow rotating floor pedestal :) that way it constantly changes position....s..l...o...w...l...y

so you can appreciate it from every angle.

you can also consider a euro mount so you can hold it and appreciate the weight and mass that beauty has. if you change your mind you can mount it later.

10. If you got the room and dollars a floor pedestal would be great.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Like Rich, I find that astonishing that you got that out of the Garden State. REGARDLESS, let's talk pose. Let me get away from the googahs and get to the nuts and bolts. In OUR profession, the buzzwords tend to be "pedestal", "off-set shoulder", and "sneak". As a hunter and someone who hangs memories on my wall and not trophies, to all those ideas I say "poppycock". First off, a pedestal is a piece of furniture, only one that takes much more time and effort than the IKEA end tables. It occupies floorspace and unless you have a large game room where you need a centerpiece, don't even entertain the idea. Your "trophy of the lifetime" will be lost in the clutter of a normal, lived in home. Second, the off-set. I've never been a big fan of these things as they're difficult if not impossible to hang without a special hanger. A big boy like yours will spin like a top with the weight of those antlers. Same goes for the wall pedestal. Seeing a wedge cut out of the shoulder upholstered with leather doesn't impress anyone and actually detracts from the animal's antlers. And last but never least, THE SNEAK. What a POS. Unless you have a 14 foot high ceiling, be prepared to look at the top of its neck for then rest of your life. They do nothing to enhance the antlers as you're looking down on top of them. You never get to enjoy the magnificence of the face and the classic whitetail facial and neck markings.

Now rethink your hunt. (Please don't tell me you want him like he was when you shot him. That got him dead. You want it to look as if it were alive.) What was the FIRST thing that came into your mind when you saw him? I already know! MASS. That means that you want to see ALL of his anters and not the top or the bottom or the side. That immediately rules out the alert (which looks like you when your proctologist tells you you're about to feel a little pressure). The semi-sneak is the only pose that shows a mature deer in a natural but alert pose. In order to display your antlers, have the form turn INTO his strong side. Have the weak side out front. This will allow any observer from any angle to see the rack in total, see the strong side silhouetted against the wall and have the weak side not detract from the strong side while still displaying it fully. The McKenzie 6500 is still the standard by which all other suppliers make molds. If YOU ARE THE DEER, which way would your head have to turn to have the strong side against the wall? Then you need the 6500 in left or right.

This mount can go with you anywhere you go, fit into any home, house, trailer, RV, or even the doghouse if you end up there. All you'll ever need is a nail.

John67, GWebb, Sea Wolf and 4 others like this.
  12. George 1000% agree

13. George I usually love your answers. But totally disappointed in that one

14. Yes I guess it would depend on where you live in a studio apartment or a house ,lot of people get bears mounted.

15. Nice Buck !!!

16. 64D

17. I agree with George. But I do like the sneak in certain instances. The 64D I absolutely can’t stand. I’ve mounted 3 or 4 on the 64D this past year. Just finishing up one now. I like the deer to look majestic. The 64D makes the deer look like it’s getting something shoved up its rear, or maybe it’s my skill level . The 6500 is what I suggest to customers that don’t know what they want. It’s an awesome form.

18. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Im going to have to disagree with the mckenzie 6500. To me it looks like a normal form, like 90% of forms on the market. Im extremely picky on forms tough.

19. Fishingrooney

Fishingrooney New Member

I’m thinking an Ohio 4000 Wall pedestal with the head altered to be slightly tilted down. A little extra work for the taxidermist but I don’t mind paying at all.

Micah Howards likes this.
  20. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Coombs for are light years above McKenzie for northern bucks... semi upright... left turn will show the drop tine on right antler and the mass... like George says... the offset, wall ped, sneak, ped are all gimmicks... you want it up on your wall out of the way,

Richard C likes this.