1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Of A Lifetime. Dilemma

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Fishingrooney, Nov 16, 2019.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Funnybone, you disappoint ME. The least you could have done was point out specifics and how your ideas differ from mine. It all goes back to the "Ugly Baby Syndrome". No one wants to hear they baby is ugly but that doesn't keep others from thinking it and saying it behind your back.

Honda, I want you to think about the irony in you comment. If the 6500 truly looks like 90% of the other forms out there, did it cross you mind that perhaps 100% of the deer out there actually look like the 6500. Thirty years ago, Kevin McKenzie introduced the FIRST line of deer forms that actualled LOOKED LIKE DEER. That form became the standard for every other supplier, sculptor, and artisan. One of the finest whitetail mounts I ever saw and that revolutionized whitetail competitions was "Winter Warrior" by Scott Brewer that used an altered 6500 form.

Jackson1814 and HondaXR250 like this.
  2. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

I do recall that "winter warrior mount" and it was awesome ! Never knew or forgot, what Scott used to mount it until now.

3. chongo

chongo Member

I have a smaller but similar issue- buck of my lifetime, but from the Texas Hill country, where dressing out at 90-100 lbs. is common- would this Mackenzie 6500 still work for a smaller dimensioned animal? I want him to look natural and from where he came from- no 'roids. Thx.

4. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Yeah i understand George. I guess im just too picky. Almost all shoulder forms look like the old school standard ones to me, straight upright.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Mckenzie 6300 slim is best in my opinion for small framed deer

Jackson1814 and swampfox2 like this.
  6. swampfox2

I like the McKenzie 6300 for smaller frame deer as well. Research Mannikins has forms for smaller frame deer as well. The Lancaster forms.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Fosters carries a full live of "southern deer" (I HATE using geographical designations) with small necks and more delicate faces.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    swampfox2 likes this.
  8. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    This is very good info! I use these forms 75% of the time for these South Alabama deer. Price wise bout as cheap as any form you'll find also.

9. tasinsc

tasinsc Member

10. tasinsc

tasinsc Member

George is is rite on this one my 10 point is mounted that way and looks awesome in . BUT that being said there are a lot of taxidermists out there and a lot of forms to choose eyes ears ect. ect it is your memory preserve it how . you want it for life.. take your time best wishes TAS.. I like pik 2 ..

11. nemo

nemo Member

I agree that the 6500 is an awesome standard wall form. My pick if asked. I've also mounted on McKenzie's 9800 wall pedestal using Joe Coombs wall pedestal swivel brackets which allow you to change the position on your wall with a push or a twist. This is an upright form. If mounted by a reputable taxidermist, makes a beautiful mount. Good luck on your decision. You killed one heckuva a buck! Congratulations!

12. verne

verne Well-Known Member

I'd check out the new line offered by Ben Mears whitetail forms .

13. well im definitely a white girl

I got a soft spot for pedestals...
    I like the 9800s. And buy a swivel bracket, it will fit anywhere, there is no "wobbly" issue and you can turn that sucker any angle you want

14. roonie

roonie Member

im sure youve already picked a form.... just used a mears...very nice forms...they have all the poses you could ever need. i liked the older mears but his new ones are even nicer

15. Good point I agree been buried I'll get back

16. swampfox2

I like the Foster forms as well. I mounted one for a friend on one of his "grooming " forms in the early 90's that was a hit. He is a gunsmith and hung it in his shop. I got a few more to mount like that when his customers saw it.

17. Fishingrooney

Fishingrooney New Member

I’m thinking Coombs 9700 or an ots 4000 altered to have the head slightly down. I am not a fan of the McKenzie 64d but would like a slight head down so I can appreciate the rack a bit more and see into it since it has all kinds odd character