1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pressure Or Not

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by jigginjim, Nov 17, 2019.

1. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Reading through the tanning wether buckets or auto tanning machines. One person makes the claim that using pressure forces the tan into the hide faster then waiting for a time for it to leach in. Some say tumbling makes the tanning it faster.
    Is it someone talking to sell units or what?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Tumbling in tan = faster penetration.

Pressure= no benefit.

Bucket= slower penetration.

They all will tan a hide.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The person making any claim in today’s world is pulling your leg. Yes it was thought of years ago as the maker of it thought it did. He has retracted that statement and it’s the tumbling that quickens the tan.
    I have no reason to do this and waiting overnight to have a skin tanned doesn’t hurt me at all plus no need to waste two grand on a useless toy ( JMO)
    I use a vat but a bucket is fine but make sure you stir the cape in there a few times during the day.
    Hopefully we helped you out

4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

These sounded really easy at the beginning, but the idea is not to ruin a customers hide, yet how many times do i practice? looking more into the idea now as to show me to learn more about these auto tanners.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can save yourself a ton of money and use a cement mixer. Put your pickle in it, turn on the rotation and pickle it. Dump out the pickle and when you are ready, add the tannage and water, turn on the rotation and tan it. Simple as that.

Basically it is a rotating bucket.

Frank E. Kotula and pir^2h like this.
  6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Talk to the maker Steve Rotramel . Do a search here for him.