1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is It Possible To Redo A Taxidermied Cat's Eyes?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by pippin, Nov 18, 2019.

1. pippin

pippin New Member

-

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sounds like a freeze dryer was used here. We don't typically use the the skull and teeth in a mount any more and if we do we rebuild the tissue removed so the teeth would not be visible unless wanted.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

What 3 bears said , that said either way tho they can be fixed with some tender loving care and not destroy what is already done . If freeze dryed just needs to be rehydrated fixed then put back in to dehydrate again

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

hydrate with DA then it can be air dried

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If it is freeze dried, what byrdman said. I have rehydrated freeze dried turkey head eye rings to reshape with denatured alcohol, pinned them and let them dry. I have done the same with the snoods.

If your cat was mounted conventionally with a form and tanning of the hide, shrinkage would not or should not be an issue. Freeze drying on the other hand could have these problems when not done right.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If it was conventional mounted it can be fixed but the costs of pets are high and it should have been done as you wished but pets are hard to bring back life to what the owner remembered.
    When I do pets conventional I want pics and lots of them as what my client wants. Their side canine do show in live cats as in dogs and that’s about all. Some clients want it some don’t, that’s personal.
    As for the eyes , sorry but a properly tanned cape thinned as it should will have minimal shrinkage and one should not look different from the other unless it was in its nature.
    It sounds like it may have been done on the less expensive side as I hear the excuses he gave you and they may have not been capable of doing a pet.
    In the end it can be fixed but it may not be able to be fixed completely.